Author Topic: Thoughts on string silencers  (Read 1348 times)

Offline DQ

Thoughts on string silencers
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:15:56 pm »
I shot a recently finished BBO bow about a thousand times without any string silencers on it.  A clean shot produced a low "thumm" sound and I could feel the string vibrating after the shot.  Then, I put string silencers on it. (2 small tufts of llama fur)  A clean shot then produced a low "thump" and no string vibration after the shot.  But... the "thump", which stopped the vibrations, also made the bow rougher in the hand. (slight hand shock)

The bow is pretty quiet either way, but I prefer the smoother feel of no string silencers.  In fact I just removed the string silencers from three of my wooden bows.  I don't think a deer will hear the difference.  Besides, that "thumm" is the sound of Sherwood Forest, Ishi, and the Witchery of Archery.  I love that sound!

What are your thoughts on string silencers on wooden bows?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Thoughts on string silencers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »
Did you use the whole hide to make the silencers?  I can't imagine they'd add that much weight to be giving you this level of handshock.  Can't say I have had that happen with my bows, but my silencers have been from cottontails and beaver hides. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DQ

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:09:19 pm »
I just use about a one inch puff ball of llama fur for a silencer.  They don't add much weight at all, and they do the job.  I guess I shouldn't have used the bad words...hand shock...the bow just shoots smoother without the silencers.  I notice in old photos of early bowhunters that they have no silencers on their strings.  Someone suggested that string silencers came about in the 1950's when bows became more "high performance" models.

I just wondered what other people's experience has been, with or without them.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:29:04 am »
I mostly use wool balls or beaver fur and have really never noticed any difference.
Just a little different sound of the bow,instead of a twang just a little thud I guess you would call it. It kind of depends on the bow,one with early string tension seems to need them more for me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:52 am »
I know the "hum" you speak of Darryl, I heard it myself. That bow doesnt need any help in the quiet dept. I enjoy the looks of a nice fur silencer on a bow, it seems to wrap it all up in my eyes. Wiith that being said, Im hit and miiss with silencers on my bows. I agree with Pappy that the early tension bows seem to benefit from them the most. My statics can get pretty loud without padding the string where it contacts the belly and attaching silencers to the string.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:47:56 pm »
Darryl
As you get to know me better you will realize I really cherish the simplicity of a stick with a string!
No gimicky frilly dodads to get in the way !! Been there done that !
Pearl and others like extras and that is fine ,just keep it simple for this simple minded worthless old nut !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !