Author Topic: 60" Blind Bow (Hickory)  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

60" Blind Bow (Hickory)
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »
Painting this bow black really made it hard to take some pictures-flash glare,  I sure hope it does't shine in the blind.  The specs are:  60" ntn 58# @ 28" - 1 3/4" at the fades, pignut hickory. Traping the back and making the tips thin really lighten up this bow.  I have about 125 shots through it and it has developed some frets at both the top and bottom fades.  I read the other post on frets and took some pictures of these.  Any comments as to why it freted, how long it will last or simple fixes are very much welcome.  I might have taken this design to the limit 58# for a 60" hickory @ 28. What do you guys think?
Thanks for looking,
DB   
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: 60" Blind Bow (Hickory)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 04:07:46 pm »
I think if you went with a full 2" wide and 2" longer you wouldve been ok. Just my young opinion i could be wrong.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 04:09:25 pm »
Sweet bow though, i just made a short recurve with a pure black finish like that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:43:46 pm »
Yes DB, In think you might have gone just a bit too far. Otherwise this is a real nice bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 05:52:54 pm »
I think it looks a little stiff just beyond the fades on the upper limb. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:04 pm »
Just an idea,your fades look pretty long for the design,that adds up to a pretty long unbending area.might have made them as short as practical to even the work load.very nice bow indeed!!! I do agree with carson with the upper in question though.very nice finish work also!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »
Bring it to Dave's so I can get a closer look at it....hard telling how long it'll last if they're frets....at least its hickory and it'll prob just "set" some more

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:22 pm »
Thanks to all , I appreciate your comments.

Blackhawk, I was planning on doing that very thing.
Thanks

Offline DGF

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:58:25 am »
The length, weight and color should make for a sweet turkey bow. Hope it does you good this spring!

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:29:22 am »
Yes the limbs are a little stiff just past the frets. It appears that you have used a pyramid taper (more or less) so the whole limb should be bending equally and look a little more circular than yours is. It is bending into the fades which is a tricky thing to pull off with no detriment to performance. This bow is a classic reason why front view and tiller are interlinked.
Think of the frets as teachers they are saying 'i'm too strained here!' and 'if you'd just made me bend a little more tipward then I wouldn't have happened!'. Take the positives from it!
When you make bows that are right on the edge like this one, they teach you more than just another overbuilt bow!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:11:40 pm »
Makes sense mikekewick,  it has been a learning experience and your comments is what I was looking for to help the learning curve.  It seams like every bow I built is a learning experience.  I enjoy every minute of a build.  Can you please elaborate a little more on "front view and tiller are interlinked".
Thanks again for your comments
Bill

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:29:29 pm »
That looks sweet all black!! I love it.

tattoo dave
Rockford, MI