Author Topic: Arrows needed  (Read 3781 times)

Offline webrx

Arrows needed
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:10 am »
Hi again,

New guy here, just build my first board bow, but now I need the right arrows.  The ones I have are way too stiff (they are easton 2216 lights used in my compound - 65lb pull).  I am guessing, should know later today, that my self bow is around 40 to 45 at 28".  no cut in the riser, the arrow has to wrap around the bow which is 1 and 1/4 inch wide at the center.

my current arrows definately start and stay left when shooting so I am pretty sure (remember im a newbie) I need something with a softer spine.

While I am a tinkerer, the thought of making and fletching arrows seems a little daunting to me right now, though I may try it down the road (saw the hd bamboo arrow build thread).

As with a lot of folks, money is tight right now, so, any recommendations on some inexpensive arrows for my 72" red oak selfbow? Anyone have some arrows that will work on this bow they may want to trade for something?  Being a newbie here, I would be willing to use a middle man for the trade to ensure we both get what we agreed too.

Thanks

Dave
Experience - that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Offline bigpapa

• all the senorita's call me bigpapa
Re: Arrows needed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20:17 am »
Do you live in an area with river cane? You might be able to work out some trades that way.
Our only limitations in life are the ones we put on ourselves!
Dream your dreams, and fly like the eagles!

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:18 pm »
try red osier that is 29.5 to the back of point. Make the arras weigh between 10- 11 grains per pound with 125 grain points installed that should put you in the ball park....I am kinda new but after building 3 dozen arras for one bow that seems to be the foumula that works for me. If they fly a little stiff go w 160 gr point. If they are a little weak go with 100 gr points.
Have fun,
Greg

Offline webrx

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:25:48 am »
Thanks, picked up some wood arrows today, spined for a 40#, my bow turns out is less than that, the store guy said 30# at 27" (my draw length), guess I over tillered it.....:)

That's ok, it was fun and I learned something - gonna use a scale while tillering next time.

d

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:42 am »
  You can't shoot alu. or vanes out of a self bow. You have to shoot wood and feathers. If you ever get around to building your own arrows PM me I've got lots of different kinds of shoots I'll trade you for something.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »
You can trust the advise crooked just gave you, and I would take him up on the trade offer. Arrows can be daunting to a new bow maker, but it is just another skill that needs practice. Once you have seen the way your bow shoots with wooden arrows you will be hooked!

Scott

Offline webrx

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 01:13:32 am »
Thanks for the info.

I tried the wooden ones from our archery shop in town and they don't work worth a snot....

The only arrow I can get anywhere near shooting is my Easton aluminum at this point - with long feather vanes, but I think it may be due to the weight of the arrow, the wood ones I bought were really light and wont even try to shoot straight.  My son can shot them out of his 22 lb snake, but I can't get them do do diddly out of mine.  I will put in a tiny arrow rest tomorrow (fit a piece under the leather wrap) so I can get a consistent launch point, and nocking point.

I am thinking either I am really missing something basic, or my bow needs a heavier arrow to shoot well, or maybe the arrow nocs are too tight, I don't know - like I said, I am new at this  - I could weigh them I guess. 

I did change the bow a bit, it is now 68 nock to nock (kept the old nocks for a stringer and put new nocks in for the flemish string I bought)  It feels a little stiffer now, I really need to check the pull weight, but have been swamped with stuff to do when I get home.

Crooked - yes - I am up for a trade, in for a penny, in for a pound I guess, just gotta watch the dollars with the current economy, and it seems when i get into a new hobby, dollars find a way to get spent.

PM me if you want, with what you want for the shoots, and lets start talking, I really need to find something that will shoot well out of this bow cuz, I really like it, and even if it eventually hangs on the wall, I know I will build another one.

Dave

Offline webrx

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 01:45:38 am »
ok, I just weighed the arrows from the shop, they are 350 grams, my eastons are 555 grams, I think this may be part of the problem as I see others using 750 gram arrows in a board bow with no cut in shelf.

Even though they are aluminum, I can get the eastons on the target, I can't get the wood ones to get anywhere close.

any recommendations?  I feel like a complete noob, sorry for the dumb questions.

d

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:47:55 am »
You dont have an arrow with correct spine.  The wood ones you tried sounds like they are too light spined.  The aluminum are most likely too stiff spine.  You need something in the middle.  Weight of arrows mainly affect how an arrow drops per a distance.  Spine affects how the arrow is shot from the bow(i.e. how arrow is able to wrap around handle of bow upon release)
Aim Small...Hit Small

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:01:37 am »
It's not the weight of the arrow that will cause it to fly bad it is the spine,I shoot 525 most of the time but have 400 that fly fine also.On most selfbows that aren't center shot you arrow will need to be about 10 spine lighter that the bow,if you bow was 30 at 28 before you cut it down form72 to 68 it is probably more like 38 to 40 now so 35 lb spined arrows should work cut at 28 or 29.I would start with them at 30 inches long and see how they do.for each inch you cut off under 28 inches you will add 5 lbs of spine and for every inch you add to the length over 28 you will weaken by about 5 lbs. Point weight also changes the spine but not as much,heaver points weaken the spine and lighter points stiffen it. I would start with a 30 inch arrow 30to 35 spine with a 125 point. Also is it a bend in the handle bow ? if not you could narrow the grip a bit at the arrow pass and that would make it more forgiving on arrow spine.  :) Hope this helps. Most shoot shafts and cain are a little more forgiving also because they are naturally tapered,big end to be the point it will also give a little weight forward which is a good thing also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline webrx

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04:50 am »
Thanks again, yes a bend in the handle bow,no shelf. The guy I bought the arrows from said they were for a 40# bow, but the have pretty light points, basically when I let go of the string the arrow flies immediately left and just kind of flips around going next to nowhere.

Thanks again for the advice, I do have some CF arrows with 100 grain tips for a heavier bow (60#) but wanted wood to go with my self bow.  I will have to look for or build something that better fits the bow, and I will have to also build portable tillering stick so I can better check the pull weight.

Thanks

d

Offline webrx

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:17 am »
Hi,
newbie here again, well, turns out the arrows will shoot from my bow if I loosen the nocks up a bit, meaning, they were holding on to the bow string. 

modded the bow a bit also, added an arrow shelf to the side with velcro arrow rest and striker plate (carpet side), re-wrapped the handle. and put a string nock locator on the string.

was able to get the arrows on the target at the right height, and when I don't pluck, I am able to get them in the middle, when I do pluck arrows seem to fly right.  I was reading through the ten tips for finger shooters and was able to try a few things that have seriously helped my accuracy, still trying to get a handle on loosing (releasing) the string, but can occasionally get it right.

Also turns out, my sons arrows are a bit tight on his string also, so gonna work on getting them all sanded out as well.

Thanks for all the help and any additional advice is greatly appreciated

Dave

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 02:00:42 pm »
  WEB arrows can be perplexing but you'll find out with time and exsperance it's not as hard as you think.
  To start with don't make your own arrows starting out buy some wooden dowl arrows. Now lets get rid of the string plucking. No need to hook the string deep and hard. Use either your tips or not past the fist knuckle crease. With time you'll do what comes natural. But for now either ways fine.
   No mater if you use split finger ONE ABOVE 2 BELOW the arrow, which is what most people do if your shooting instintive. The other way is 3 under it's uselly go's along with gap shooting. Either way when you draw and release release with the third finger down. The upper 2 have to follow suit. With stops string plucks. You'll get the same smooth release everytime. WHICH IS WHAT YOU WANT.

The closer your bows are center shot the less your arrow spine has to match the bow. Like I said it's really hard to have alu. flex around your bow at the shot. WOOD DOSE MUCH BETTER. The weight of your arrow affects the arrow drop mainly. It's the spine affects right and left. Pm me I son might have a couple dowl arrow's that light.  But first you need  find out your correct bows weight before we move on.

Offline webrx

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 09:16:08 am »
Thanks Crooket.

I am using the wood ones I bought for now, and intend to get the pull weight checked, my little scale only goes to 25, gonna use it today to see where it hits 25, and can make an educated guess from there what it is, but I would rather know for sure.

Dave

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 10:51:22 am »
  You can use a bath room scale. Get a inch dowl but it dos'nt have to be round. Have it 3 1/2 ,4 foot long. Cut a nock in the end , measure your draw lenth on it make it on the dowl. Put it on your bow turn the bow upside down push it down on the scale to you reach your mark you put on. Look at the weight that'll be your bows weight at that draw lenth.