Author Topic: Hop Hornbeam???'s  (Read 3635 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Hop Hornbeam???'s
« on: October 29, 2007, 07:53:46 pm »
My boy and I just cut a Hop hornbeam the hard way toying with the idea of hatchet bows for Mojam. Thinkin it was a white wood( hard to chase a growth ring with a hatchet) I was surprized to find out that there was bout an 1/8" of sapwood under the bark. My question is this, do I just remove the bark like hickory or chase a ring like osage for the back? Maybe its just new growth but its definately very different color than the rest of the log...very light in color ???. Never worked it before so these are probably silly questions to those of you who have but I need a little help here.....Thanks....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Hop Hornbeam???'s
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:15:42 pm »
It's a whitewood, brian. Yake off the bark and make a bow. Treat it like hickory pretty much as far as width and length go . It should have more sapwood. What is its diameter? jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 05:33:37 am »
I treat it just like Hickory,never noticed the sap wood being AL that thin.Are you sure it is
HHB ? :) I don't usually chase a ring ,just clean up the inner bark after I get the main bark
off.Of course I cut mine in the summer so the bark slips right off like Hickory. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:39:23 am »
Sometimes HHB will have dark sapwood and sometimes light. It usually has more sapwood than that but I have seen quite a few variations over the years. Regardless you don't want to try chasing a ring.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:05:23 pm »
jawge, its bout 5 1/2" across...Pappy, it looks just like the stave I got from you at the Classic...leaves look similar to elm...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....