Author Topic: Willow Backrests..............  (Read 4208 times)

Offline chamookman

Willow Backrests..............
« on: March 16, 2013, 03:07:04 pm »
Has anyone made Willow Backrests ? I struck out looking for a how-to - Thanks. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Willow Backrests..............
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »
I sent Sterling some willow shoots I have gotten when removing a willow tree from near the creek and he was going to make a back rest with them. I don't know if he ever made the back rest but contact him to see if he has the info you need.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 04:18:56 am »
Thanks Pat - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:41:49 am »
Old friend Mike Searl has made a lot of them for the 'show tipi' and uses modern methods to accomplish their structure.. he uses the 1" bypass shears to cut them.. goes to newer stands of the willow growing in ditches that have been cut down to the ground years a couple.. several maybe years before and gets just the straightest of sprouts to use on these.   these sprouts are peeled and wrapped into bundles that are then tied up and dried . Think he puts them up high in his garage rafters or something.. cuts the ones that are just the RIGHT size too…. so then a frame of plywood is made that is the finished size of the backrest.. then some smaller boards are cut to secure over the lined up willow shoots.. these shoots are placed alternately down so the top of one is alongside the ground level end of anoter.. the smaller boards are fixed down over all of these 'ends so that the rods don't move while they are drilled with a dremel tool with a 1/16" bit with a pointy end on it.. I believe that's the size.. I could be wrong.. anyway it's a VERY small bit with the very pointy tip.. okay so then a very long doll makers needle is used to string the artificial sinew.. so anyway! This was close to my take on these! Mike paints some of his too and I forget what exact paint he used too.. guess if you could find bloodroot you could do some that are pretty close replica of some made back in the day.

Hmm.. I finally have a piece of plywood that I might be able to use to make some myself! thanks for the inspiration! Good luck.. great way to get out and enjoy the springtime. I know I'll be eyeing the willow stands longingly.. have some pretty stained up fingers for a few.. lol.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:27:54 pm »
Crazy Crow sells them - could use one as a pattern - let me talk to the missus and she what she has to say.  Looks similar to the back of one style of cradle basket she has made.  I will see what else I can find for you.

Ben

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »
I just Googled willow backrests and a whole bunch of sites came up - the first has step by step instructions.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:33:15 pm »
I did the same (finnaly) Ben. Lot's of info if Ya look in the right places  ;). Just gotta cut and dry some willow later this Spring. Thanks all ! Bob