Author Topic: Red Elm Question  (Read 1499 times)

Offline coaster500

Red Elm Question
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:25:09 am »
I have some Red Elm that only has about three months drying time.

Question ....  is it possible to work the stave down to bow dimensions to help with the drying time or should I just let it dry for another year or so?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Joec123able

Re: Red Elm Question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:38:34 am »
Yea you could do that but you don't wanna take it down to close or you will risk having the wood either warp or check on you and have even more problems Down the road
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:45:47 am »
Get it floor bending the stop for another 3 or so months.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:42:18 am »
   You can take it dow to floor tiller but seal the whole bow or if it's to wet it will have drying checks. It's best to let it season a year on its own 2 better. Like all woods if sealed,sprayed (where need be) and stored flat or standing straight up out of the whether. Even white woods will last. I have osage as well as elm,hickory over 20 years old. As well as perrsimmen ,follower dog wood a dozzen years old.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »
Kip the snakey bow I made from elm was cut the first or so of December. I roughed it out a little a week and kept it in the hotbox around 70-80 degrees with a fan blowing on it. It kicked and bucked all over while it dried and that's how I got the reflex and also the snake in it. I sealed the back only and just checked on it everyday for checks. It dried out quickly, but it will warp. You might be able to strap it down to something to keep it from moving to much but I would say its going to move. It's not like you can't heat it back to straight when its done though. Get cracking if you ask me. This stuff grows on tress after all.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:54:53 pm »
Dave that bow is what made me want to try Elm.... Killer bow!!! ...  I've got quite a bit of it so I might experiment with one.

Thanks guys for the advise............
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:38:11 pm »
If its already been drying for three months then I would say you are probably safe to get it done to near net shape, but I've never worked with Red Elm, so I don't know how bad it likes to warp.

I am impatient and would probably take it down, but leaving it be is definitely the safer route.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 01:10:04 am »
Roughed out the green stave today and clamped on one of the rafters in my shop. The back and ends are sealed so we will see if it cracks without sealing the whole thing. The rafter should keep it from warping and twisting....  I don't have a moisture meter so I'm not sure how long this will take???