Author Topic: Treasure next door  (Read 12310 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Treasure next door
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:33:32 pm »
My parents live across the road from me on the original family homestead that was settled after one of the Land Runs in the late 1800's.  It's the place where I grew up and roamed as a kid. 

Yesterday my dad and my niece's husband, Jeff, were clearing some brush that had grown up around the barn.  Jeff works for the local electric co-op clearing line easements and right-of-ways so he's pretty adept with a chain-saw.  My parents are in their 70's and have not raised any livestock to speak of in over 20 years, so the barn was primarily just being used as a storage shed and was becoming overgrown with brush on the back side. 

Dad came over last night and told me that they had cut down a bodark tree and he asked me if I wanted it.  After he described the tree, I grabbed a flashlight and went to look. 

It's about 8 inches in diameter and relatively straight.  The trunk would have been longer, but Jeff got a little rambunctious with the chain saw and cut off about 18 inches.  The final length appears to be slightly over five feet tall.  It looks perfect. 

In another post, I'd stated that I wanted to cut a bodark tree that I'd found, but was having a hard time finding the time to get it done. I'd stated that I hoped to find the time to get it cut by December.   The tree I had my eye on was n the far side of a piece of leased property.  Just this past Sunday, I'd asked Dad if we still had permission to cut wood off of the lease, (he loses the lease in January).  He said we did, and remembered that I was looking for bodark when he and Jeff cut the tree by the barn.  I had no idea that there was a similar tree less than 100 yards from my house.  What a find.  As soon as I get a chance to see it in the daylight, I'll try and post pictures of my recently discovered hidden treasure.  What a find. 

Though I've yet to make a single bow, I see no issue in getting a piece of bodark waiting in the wings for when I'm ready for the challenge.  I think a bow made from a tree from the place I grew up will be very special. 

I'll keep you all posted and hope to have pictures soon. 

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Treasure next door
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:30 pm »
Sounds like a great deal to me even if it is a little short.  Never look a gift horse in the mouth.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:12 pm »
Thats too cool Otoe, you will always have apiece of the old homestead
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:35 pm »
Here are a few pic's.  I also included the portion that was inadvertently cut off.   :'(

Otoe

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:44:05 pm »
Mmmmm, beautiful bodark ;D. Man, look at those growth rings! from what I can see that first one is almost a half inch. Do you have a pic of the cut end? Speaking of the ends, better get some glue on them quick. Too bad you were'nt around to cut it yourself to get as much length as possible. I cut everything 72" or longer while I'm collecting, may not be necessary but I try to get as much as I can. Absolutely nothin wrong with collecting while your learning - that's what I've been doing for the better part of a year now....Nice log!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline butch

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:57:21 pm »
thats a real gift for you om hallows eve. put itaway and with more exp. you can make a fine short bow or cut into billets you can make a bow 10 feet long. it should last a lifetime.  happy halloween mike.    butch

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 07:43:48 am »
Nice gift,ought to make some fine bows in a year or 2. :) Show a end view,growth rings look good from what I can see. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:08:28 am »
Things were nuts yesterday so I ran over (notice the running shoe in the picture  ::) ) and took a few quick pic's before having to head off to town for church and to take my daughter to play practice.  Hopefully I'll have some time tonight after work to coat the ends.  When I do, I'll get a shot of the growth rings. 

I did notice that it had very thick growth rings but didn't know if that was good or if thinner rings were more desirable. 

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted. 

Otoe

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:20:38 am »
You should probably split the log in half, at least so it can dry well. If you don't it will check where it wants to below the bark.  Study the log to be sure where you split it will give you the most good stave wood. You may have to make billets from the side near where the limb was.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:46:21 am »
Hey Cowboy:  I went back and looked at your pic's of the Bodark you cut in September to look at the end grain.  I noticed the huge bottle of TiteBond in the picture.  Is that what you coat the ends with?  (I originally thought it was bar oil)

I've got several bottles of TB II and III around, but not much.  Would latex paint work too?

Also, with the large growth rings and the thickness of the log, do you think a piggy-back stave would be possible?  I have a feeling that I'll need as many blanks as I can get from the log for practice.   :-[.

Otoe

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 12:21:50 pm »
Yes the paint will work,I like the glue better just cause you can see the end grain later.
I have a lot of Osage and like to look at the grain when deciding on a piece.I use to use rubber undercoating but for that reason stopped using it.Just cheap wood glue will work also and
it don't take much to cover. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 01:25:18 pm »
Otoe: Like Pappy said, I like the white glue cause it dries clear and you can pick out your back ring more easily later. Once you split that log I don't think you'll have enough for a piggy back, don't get stingy with it and try to get too many staves - you'll wind up ruining more than otherwise. Good luck.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 04:44:55 pm »
I know you guys have told us newbies the answer to this question a hundred times, but should I go ahead and remove the bark now too?

Otoe

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 04:54:56 pm »
Yes, after you split it. Go ahead and take off the bark and might as well take off the sap wood too, unless you want to leave it. Bugs will eat it to peices if ya leave bark on too long after cutting - seal the backside real good with whatever your using.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 05:07:33 pm »
Yep, if you take the bark off, seal the back. I found that one out the hard way. That's some of the fattest rings I've ever seen on osage. Almost looks like mulberry.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.