Author Topic: never rope a deer!  (Read 4628 times)

Offline thomas h

never rope a deer!
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:59:11 pm »
this is from  my facebook page enjoy ;)

Why we shoot deer in the wild:
(A letter from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, writes well and actually tried this)

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold.

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope, and then received an education. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer EXPLODED. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer-- no Chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ..... I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal -like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true so help me God...An Educated Farmer

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: never rope a deer!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:13:41 pm »
Hhaha!   Wild animals are always extremely tough.  He should have tied that rope to his trailer hitch instead of to himself. lol.  You ever here of someone catching a deer with their hands?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:17:00 pm »
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................HAHAhahahahahahaha.........................Hahahaahaaaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think I may have peed a little.They don't even make one of those smiley things to express my level of amusement. Thanks for that ,buddy. You don't happen to hang around with JW , do you?

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 10:24:34 pm »
Lmfao that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. I definitely wish I was there to see that. They wife is laughing so hard she's crying LOL.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:31:39 pm »
Best. Story. Ever.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:21:18 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Too funny ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:53:00 am »
LMAO:)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 10:12:54 am »
I've read that story several times and still laugh .
I have roped one before.....well I hog tied it, the neighbor built a new fence and it was about two feet taller than the old fence so when a young doe went to jump it her back legs went between the top two wires. I was heading to work when I seem her so I stopped to see if I could free her, she had been there a few hours but still had a lot of fight in her. Not wanting to be like the rancher in the story , I came up with the idea of putting a loop over her front feet and get them under control first, then put a loop in the other end and got the back leg that was free tied and was able to get it pulled up to the front legs. After getting the legs that was free under control I tried to untwist the wires , took a tire tool and shovel handle to get it done. After freeing the back leg I typed it to the others so I could load her up and move her across the road away from traffic and the tall fence I had just freed her from. Surprisingly she stayed rather calm for a wild animal only bawling a couple of times when I loaded her. When I got her over next to the timber I slowly untied her and to my surprise she calmly got up and walked off into the timber only stopping once and looking back at me .

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 10:55:59 am »
Absolutely one of the funniest stories I have read in a long time and what makes it even funnier is that its true. I will be printing this one off and taking it to Ojam and will read it around the campfire one evening.  Thanks for posting this. Laughter is good medicine.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »
good one Thomas, your right it's not a good idea, me and my brother were out looking for a steer that got out on some open land and he roped a little fork horn, never did get that rope back ;D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline thomas h

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 02:01:39 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;)

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 12:38:59 pm »
This can be done. They key is to be mounted on your trusty steed. As the deer runs you can dally up.  I have seen it happen. There are probably still a couple deer running around with ear tags. Lol.
Tell Riley

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 03:21:39 pm »
that's how we did it tell, but you know this Tehama co area, lots of rolling hills and big shear drops to creek beds, deer charged the horse, and your circling away and all of a sudden BAM, damn deer jumps off one of those cuts, either undally or take the big fall, the horse really didn't want much to do with that ::), heck I think my brother was maybe 14 when we did this and me only 11
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 07:56:47 pm »
Awesome story!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:14:31 am »
That reminds me of a equally ill-fated wild animal/rope story. Some one that I knew who lived in Alaska told me some good stories like getting stuck in a car with a raging, spraying wolverine. But one of his stories was about a relative of his who got clever and decided he was going to get the bear that had been doing midnight food raids on their camp. So he took a shank of meat and tied a rope to it and to his leg. Then he laid in his tent with his rifle planning to shoot the bear when he felt a nibble. Well, the bear wasn't in a nibbling mood that night, more a grab and dash. So out of nowhere this guy gets instantly yanked from his tent and dragged through the woods at break neck speed as the bear tries to make his get away. The guy bumps and crashes along for a good ways until he is finally able to cut himself free.