Author Topic: Osage staves...How much?  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Osage staves...How much?
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:42:21 pm »
I'm trying to get an idea of what is a fair market price for osage staves and billets ? what seems to be the criterion for grading them? Is there a significant difference in value if they are green with bark on versus debarked and dried in the hot box? I obviously understand that gnarly twists are not as desirable as clean and relatively straight, so given that understanding can everyone fill me in. I'm fixing to offer some for trade for bow making tools  or for sale and want to make sure that all is equitable. Also, what are the absolute best hand tools for bow making and what are their primary functions. I have a cursory understanding but just need the blanks filled in, in my little pea brain.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline DanaM

Re: Osage staves...How much?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:57:05 pm »
Send them to me and I will grade them for you ;) ;D
Seriously I have no idea look at stave dealers prices or ebay I guess.
To me living up north osage is a rarity, but sweat for sweat it takes me as much effort to cut and split a
hard maple, or HHB, elm etc. as it does you to cut and split a bodark. So in sweat price I consider them equal.
Of course straight maple is easier to come by than straight osage and their is no chasing a ring. On the other hand have you
ever split an elm tough stuff. Probably didn't help you much just my thoughts.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

Re: Osage staves...How much?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:27:32 pm »
Have you ever tried to split Osage? Hooowee, I firmly Believe there is not a more wonderfully cantacerious wood out there. It is very dificult. The fibers interlock like elm only it is a lot tougher wood but well worth the effort for an endeavor such as making bows that will last and last and last. Properly done of course.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God