Author Topic: elderberry bows part 1/3, 52/28 (No. 22)  (Read 7775 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
elderberry bows part 1/3, 52/28 (No. 22)
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:07:26 pm »
I have build three elderberry bows with different designs, but all in the same drawweight range (50+). I will post all of them in the upcoming days.

Here is the first one, a flat bow with cherry bark backing. It is 62½" ntn and 52# /28".
The bark came in three parts, spliced under the wraps. First time bark backing for me, done with TBIII.
The stave was about 2½" in diameter and had a really thick pith, I drilled out the spongy material.
Cross section is more or less rectangular with absolut flat belly and a bit crowned back which runs at outer third of limb from a trapezoid into a triangular tip.
Five color dying, partally sanded down with steel wool and a piece of old leather gives this bow a "used look" (esp. made for those who don't like the glossy finish).
Finished with several coatings of hard oil.

enjoy

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:06:21 am by simson »
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bubby

Re: elderberry bows part 1/3
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:11:15 pm »
very nice, like the natural quiver ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:16:50 pm »
That's really nice. I love the hole to stow the ram rod... or am I getting my weapons confused again?
I like the nice smooth blend from limb to grip.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:48:45 pm »
thats a great looking bow. i love the hole through the handle. i have a few elderberry staves ready for using but they are abit twisted and snaky which puts me of abit lol.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:51:41 pm »
Very clean work Simon. What do you finish seal your bows with? I really like that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:56:36 pm »
That bow is so cool!
The tiller matches the width profile perfectly. Very good design and execution.
I like the stain job...thats just how I do my bows ;)
Have you tried heat treating it yet? I also have a feeling that this wood would be great if sinew backed.
Elder grows everywhere around here, i've cut a few staves of it and they should be dry by now....I think you've just inspired me to pull one of them out.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:12:00 pm »
That's super cool! I think you've convinced me try this. I've got some elderberry trees growing in the yard that might be big enough for this.  Does anyone know if the stuff in Florida is of the same quality as in Germany?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »
around here the elderberry beetle is protected so you have to be carefull where you cut

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 05:03:36 pm »
That is just sweet. Love the handle, the cherry bark and the tiller.  Great stuff Simson.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 05:13:49 pm »
Very nice bow! I don't mean to step on your thread , but has anyone had success with american elderberry?? Is european elderberry comparible to american?  I know where some nice trees/shrubs are and am thinking of cutting them. I am in Wa. state. Never used it myself always thought it was brittle.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:39 pm »
Howdy,  I believe the issue of the elder bark beetle is confined to the interior valleys of CA.   Don't cut elders in the Sacramento valley or face a big fine!  Here in the Bay area I've got my eye on a couple of possible staves, and hope to give the local elder wood a try.   In the meantime it's nearly elder blossom time and a chance to harvest elder flowers.   
Beautiful bow and really unique handle!         Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 06:16:10 pm »
Awesome!  You do great work and can't wait to see 2 and 3!  Like the hole, that is sweet!

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 07:49:57 pm »
yeah M-P up here around red bluff they actually planted a small orchard of elderberry for the beetles, bub

Offline jimbows

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »
That Sir is one cool bow!!!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 11:00:36 pm »
Very cool bow. The handle looks a wee bit sharp though. I'm guessing it rounds out under the leather?