Author Topic: Canadian source for rawhide/sinew/wild turkey feathers?  (Read 9314 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Canadian source for rawhide/sinew/wild turkey feathers?
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:10:20 pm »
   Hi there, just wondering if  any Canadians on here have a line on a good source of rawhide, real sinew and wild turkey feathers?  I haven't been at this long enough to harvest my own materials.
   There are plenty of websites in the states that have all this stuff but I'm worried about my orders being seized at the border because they're animal products. 
Thanks.

Offline bushboy

Re: Canadian source for rawhide/sinew/wild turkey feathers?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:39:37 pm »
Turkey feathers might be a little tough to find but canada geese are every where,maybe ask a hunter.you could probably get some sinew from a butcher around deer season.having never use rawhide ,I'm not certain but I hear guys using big dog treats from a pet store. I guess you could find turkey feather at a fly tieing supplier                           
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:52:22 pm »
Turkey feathers are hard to get. I got hold of a few farms and they could not care less. They do not want to be bothered with our kind.. >:(   The flight feathers go into trash no doubt.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:21:17 pm »
Where  ya at ,Bubbles?  Go to parks where the geese hang out and get the feathers when they molt. Find a fresh roadkill to get some rawhide, and sinew. ;) .Talk to a local farmer that has the animals with the bits you require. Lots  of the small time guys still butcher their own. (Goat is better than cow for hide) Talk to hunters you know, most never use the hide ,antlers ,sinew, feathers.............

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:27:39 pm »
Turkey feathers are hard to get. I got hold of a few farms and they could not care less. They do not want to be bothered with our kind.. >:(   The flight feathers go into trash no doubt.
Go through the trash:D
Just joking, try a trade. Or just go find a craft store.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:12 pm »
Lol....well I know where the wild geese hang-out.  When do them rascals shed..?  Probably soon I reckon suumer is coming.    :laugh:  must have answered my own question..... ??? ??? ??? ::) ??? ::) ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:55:40 pm »
Lol....well I know where the wild geese hang-out.  When do them rascals shed..?  Probably soon I reckon suumer is coming.    :laugh:  must have answered my own question..... ??? ??? ??? ::) ??? ::) ???
I am guessing after mating season, most birds shed then. some birds shed gradually. some all at once.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:50:19 pm »
Problem is I don't know any hunters....or farmers, but I'll investigate further.    Anybody know any butcher shops that butcher deer that I could talk to?  I'm located in the GTA. 

Good call on the Canada goose feathers, I'll keep an eye out for those.  But those wild turkey feathers look so damn cool. 

Driving through upstate NY I saw dozens of roadkilled deer on the side of the I-90.  Tempting though it may be... I don't know what canadian customs would say if I rolled up with a dozen fresh deer hides and a pile of sinew. Haha. 

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 11:59:43 pm »
Talk to Eric, He has some.
or buy some on the internet.
I am trading for some. That is an issue I did not realize, Customs might...
make sure the person/company knows they need to label them well.
Well, maybe... Find a source in Canada. Try craft stores- I buy turkey feathers there. Sometimes, the larger ones will have the natural, others dyed to imatate eagle, some just plain white. you do need to oil them, cause the oils are washed out in the bleaching process. they are slightly less durable, but turkey feathers are turkey feathers.
-Squirrel
For wood- lumberyards and-or hardware/craft stores. Dowels are not exactly primitive, but beats Carbon Fiber.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 12:28:46 am »
I've done lots of very successful trades here for wild turkey feathers. Tandy has rawhide. Make your own sinew.

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:24:06 am »
There's a guy on manitoulin island in M'Chigeeng First Nation (West Bay), goes by the name of Dominic cant remember his last name, but he sells rawhide at very good prices. I live in North Western Ontario near the Manitoba border, and every summer I take the three hour detour from my regular trip down that way just to buy his leather and hides. Very good quality at prices that will make you think he's suicidal as he practically gives it away.  >:D But seriously, he's a good guy. Just call the people at Lillian's Craft Store (507) 377-4987 and they should give you his number, really nice people there.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 06:02:10 pm »
What are you coming down here for ,Ojibwatbowyer? 
Bubbles- There are a few of us in London ,if you ever make it over this way. Look us up.My brother In-law  used to live in T.O.  He was into drumming and I know he got some goat rawhide to fix some of his drums at one of the specialty stores over there. I'll ask him next weekend where it was.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 08:09:59 pm »
Lots of wild Turkeys in Southern Ontario, you just need to find out who hunts them and ask for the feathers. 

There's a hunting show that is produced in Southern Ontario called Canada In The Rough, I think they are in Peterborough.  I was wondering what they did with all the feathers from the Turkeys they shot, this was 2 or 3 years ago, so I e-mailed them.  They said they would be happy to give them to me but I would have to drive there to pick them up, I was not interested enough to do that.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:55 pm »
What are you coming down here for ,Ojibwatbowyer? 
Bubbles- There are a few of us in London ,if you ever make it over this way. Look us up.My brother In-law  used to live in T.O.  He was into drumming and I know he got some goat rawhide to fix some of his drums at one of the specialty stores over there. I'll ask him next weekend where it was.

I go down to visit my family on Manitoulin Island, Sudbury and Ottawa, at times I'll drive out to T.O. to see my uncle. I cant stand the humidity there though its like I'm always sweating. I also try to collect and bring back as much Ironwood as I can, about 30 staves in the past two years.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 01:00:04 am »
  Canadians molt at the first of JUNE. I have some ponds,lakes I pick up. I also have 2 parks I pick up. I go to deer processers and you can get all the sinew and hides to make your own raw hide you want. I also use to have a butcher that save me cow back sinew.
  I use my own gobbler primays and a couple friends save me wings. I use to have 2 turkey farms (hyperts) Would let me cut primarys off for quarter a bird. Some of those hyperts are SWEETTTT.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING