Author Topic: Persimmon and Honey Locust Question  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Woodland Roamer

Persimmon and Honey Locust Question
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:21:12 pm »
I have a persimmon and honey locust tree that I can cut but I've never tried either of these. Both trees are about 8-9 inches diamater. I usually make stiff handle flatbows and was wondering if anyone here had any tips for making 50-55# @ 26" bows from either of these woods such as what length and width?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Persimmon and Honey Locust Question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 12:30:46 pm »
I have made several from Persimmon and seen some made from the sap wood on Honey locust
with Persimmon I would go about 66 n-n and 1 5/8 from the fades to mid limb and the tapper to 3/8 at the tips.That should make a bow 50+.1 thing make sure it is good and dry,it takes a while for it to season and if you cut it in the spring the bark will peel right off like Hickory but you need to seal it all over to keep it from checking and don't split it to small or it will twist. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 03:26:11 pm »
Thanks for the info Pappy. I did forget to ask about the sap/heartwood on honey locust. I've used plenty of black locust and was wondering if the sap/heart ratio was similar between the two or if the honey locust is more similar to a whitewood?

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 04:00:19 pm »
Honey locust I would go wider than I do with black locust. It's quite a bit lighter, makes quick bows if they don't chrysal, just keep a lot of limb working,  Steve

Offline akila

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 04:37:07 pm »
I have made several from Persimmon and seen some made from the sap wood on Honey locust
with Persimmon I would go about 66 n-n and 1 5/8 from the fades to mid limb and the tapper to 3/8 at the tips.That should make a bow 50+.1 thing make sure it is good and dry,it takes a while for it to season and if you cut it in the spring the bark will peel right off like Hickory but you need to seal it all over to keep it from checking and don't split it to small or it will twist. :)
   Pappy
HY ...i have some stave reduce to near bow dimension,from honey locust,and i wass wondering how long it takes to dry??? i have one piece that its 2 mounth old and it sounds pretty dry to me( it sounds like a bell,like an instrument whenn you knok him with my finger,and i have one piece that its 1 mounth old, and she also make that nice sound.How long do you think i have to let themm to dry? the wood wass store in the house, where its 25,28 degrese celsius.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 05:39:47 am »
It dries pretty quick,if you don't have a moisture meter you can usually tell when you start to bend it,it will feel spongy.I would probably give it another month or 2 anyway. :)
   Pappy
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 12:29:31 pm »
I thought one used the heartwood of honey locust?  I've never tried one, although I keep eying up a couple in the yard of demolished moved car dealership.

Dave