Author Topic: Bluegrass Hole  (Read 7687 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Bluegrass Hole
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:09:43 pm »
For those who haven't heard the story of this bow, here goes.  I found an osage log cut and laying across a ravine on our farm.  I didn't cut and we'd own the farm for nearly 13 years.  So, it was at least that old.  It was weathered and cracked.  I knew I'd never try to make a bow out of it.  So, I took to the Classic last year.  I knew some of the crazy bowyers down there might enjoy the challenge.

The first person I saw working on a snakey, hole in the limb bow was blackhawk.  I had found my victim.  "Sure," he said,  "I'll see what I can do with it.  I have one hbb left, would like it?"  My first Classic trade and I had done quite well, a rotten piece of osage for a piece of hhb.

Fast foreward 10 1/2 months.  Blackhawk comes to my little bowyer gathering.  After a tour of the place, he quiet walks out of the workshop.  I step out to see if he needs help bring something in.  He's carrying a bow, but I think nothing of it really.  He's wanting show me his newest masterpiece. "You know that rotten piece of osage you gave me last year?  Well, I don't want it any more."  And, hands me the bow.  I nearly fell over.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

Re: Bluegrass Hole
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:12:40 pm »
sorry about the small pics, guys.  I'm really struggling with camera settings and resizing images since I lost my PhotoShop program in a computer crash.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:13:01 pm »
Man thats a GREAT story! congrats on the bow! your holding a piece of artwork! Beautiful bow too!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »
Hey, that guy's alright.

And that is some fine whittling.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:15:21 pm »
and more
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:43:27 pm »
Nice story  ;) and cool bow too.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Online chamookman

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:19:41 pm »
Great story and a sweet bow. That Blackhawk sure is a stand-up Guy ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:20:40 pm »
Thanks for putting some pics up of her Dave ;). No offense but ya know this one looks so much better in person ;) that's a special piece of wood right there :)

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »
That is a beauty.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 03:24:48 pm »
I don't comment on many of the nice bows that people show on this site, every now and then a really special one comes along and I have to comment. That is one more fine bow, even to a crotchety old curmudgeon like myself.

Offline rhansen

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:00:46 pm »
Wow that sure is a beautiful bow!  I do hope you post some of those larger photos too!!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 04:07:49 pm »
I have to agree with Blackhawk. Sorry Dave, but the bow does look even better in person.  And I hear tell that the bow has already made a 100+ yd shot . . . some people have all the luck! :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 04:23:01 pm »
Blackhawk is right.  The pictures don't do justice to the bow.  I don't know why he didn't pictures of me shooting the bow on the 3-d course.  ???

Any this bow SHOOTS!  It's flat, quiet and has zero handshock. I hit that bedded buck at 100+ yards with it on the first (and only) try.

I was nervous wreck stringing it for the first time with those with those teeny tiny recurved tips.  I thought I was going to pass out.  My hands were shaking and my knees were shaking.  It was crazy.  I didn't doubt Blackhawk's craftmanship, I just doubted my ability to string it correctly without destroying it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 04:51:28 pm »
larger pic attempt
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 05:02:01 pm »
much better