Author Topic: Heat treating yew???  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Dazv

Heat treating yew???
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »
Hi guys

I'm working on a narrow yew bow and I was wondering if anybody has tried heat tempering yew???

Thanks guys

Darren

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Heat treating yew???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:23:51 pm »
Yup, it works a treat. I recently finished a bow for a guy who had cut the fairly skinny Yew log a year ago. He wanted 50#... I wouldn't have made the 50# if it wasn't for heat tempering, I also combined a little reflex into the heat treatment.
See my blog here for a little tip, it speeds up the heat treating and protects the sapwood all in one go. Basically you clamp some offcut strips of wood to the sides of the bow, it directs the heat and stops it leaking round and cooking the sapwood. Less wasted hot air=less wasted time, it still isn't a quick process but you get a more event heat without the dark spots effect.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/yew-longbow-more-heat.html
If you read the posts before and afterwards, you'll see the whole build along.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »
Great thanks a lot for your reply del!!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:02:31 am »
Darren the recent yew bow I made was tempered per Brycey. I dont believe it would hold its current profile or shoot like it does had I not tempered it. Its only my first yew to hold up, so take that with a grain of salt!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:53:53 pm »
Great thanks for the advice