Author Topic: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginnings!  (Read 74692 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginnings!
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:20 pm »
  I've made a few 60" static recurves but none were sinew backed so I have been thinking about this for a good bit while waiting for the right stave to show up. Last year at the classic Clint(osage outlaw) gave me one of the staves he got from the giant osage he harvested. I was very excited when he gave it to me, not only because it was one of "the" staves but also because of this hole in it, centered from side to side. I think the stave was 72" or so.

After studying this stave for a while I decided that that cool hole was a bit too close to the tip for my liking. I don't think it would have made me a good bow. This stave was cut in 2011 so it is close to being season ready for a bow, it has nice rings and it only had the one big knot and a small pin along one edge. The stave was from over 3" at one end to 2 1/4" at the other end with the flare around the knot. If you look close, just below the big knot I drew a pencil line. From the other end to that mark is 56".  You'll never guess what I did next...
After getting the stave almost down to one ring I cut it off at 56", at the pencil line just below the knot. I then drew the center line and measured and marked off the bow's outline(1 3/4" most of the way out then tapering to 1" tips for now).

I then cut it out just outside the lines...

One tip does have a little dogleg in it that I will get out when there is less wood to move. I have thinned the limbs to 3/4" to the fades. The handle is 1 1/4" deep. I will start reducung the thickness next with a farriers rasp. When I get it down to floor tiller stage I'll see about adding the recurves. Here she is now. 56"t/t with a slight natural reflex. Front profine and side profile...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ssgtchad

Re: 56" sinew backed osage static recurve...the beginnings!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:36:16 pm »
Ill be following this thread closely.  So don't make me wait forever to see it finished >:D
Always learning something new.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:50:59 pm »
Lookin' good Pat.  I sure wish that knot would have worked out for you.  I'm glad to see that stave being worked.  Keenan has one very similar to it  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »
Heresy...blasphemy....how dare you chop a perfectly good full length stave with a hole in it down to 56",and removed the hole from being in the bow >:D  I'm sure you thought long on that decision ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 07:55:16 pm »
I saved the hole if either you, Clint or Chris want it.  ;)
 I wished the knot was placed a little lower in the limb but I think this is the best use for this stave. It sure is nice and clean.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »
Yes Sir,

I'll be watching as well.
Thank You,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline raghorns

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:13:00 pm »
Pat, please don't make us wait too long...I'm preeeety sure this will be a beauty.

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:29:32 pm »
Now that is going to be another master piece for sure. 

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 08:39:10 pm »
Looks like that will be a very nice piece of sage to work from here on out Pat. I know I'd be fired up about working that stave into
a bow and 56" of clean osage will make a mean hunting bow as you know.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:57 pm »
Here is the form I made before I chose the stave. This form has the same radius as my other recurve form(5 gal bucket) but is longer(could do 9" curves if I wanted, these will be 6"[I think]). I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it.

Lyle, unfortunately this will be a long, drawn out affair with the sinew backing and all. I'll try to keep regular posting as I continue.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 09:04:57 pm »
Pat, is there any way to use that end you cut off as the center of a 3 piece take down?  I think an arrow would fit through that hole.  Or maybe a double splice?  Chris, do you have any ideas for it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 09:11:35 pm »
Clint, it is 19 1/2" long and the hole is between 9" and 10" or so. It should work fine for a handle. I'll bring it to the Classic for you.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 10:09:49 pm »
Small atlatl? Handle n tip overlay material? Or something to keep ya warm for about 20 mins by burning it ;D

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 10:12:41 pm »
Sweet Jesus Pat, a good stave, sinew, recurved.....you got yerself a wild T-Rex round them parts, or you just gonna bomb the next county over? >:D
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:03 am »
Just a little something that has been floating around my noggin for a while, Rich. You never know til you try, don't cha know.  ;)
  Where is that sense of adventure, Chris.  ;D