Author Topic: Hello fellow bowyers  (Read 1065 times)

Offline tthanatoss

Hello fellow bowyers
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:09:15 am »
  I am new to this site and have to say I am very impressed.  I have spent the last few days checking out the various threads and have already picked up a lot of great ideas.  I have been obsessed with making my own bows for the better part of a year now and have made a few one piece board bows.  May favorite shooter right now is a 72",55lb, red oak pyramid bow I made last fall.  My compound bow had sat collecting dust for a long time as I was just bored with it until my wife decided she wanted to learn archery.  Thinking she was interested in compound I went out and did the research ahead of time and had a pretty good idea of what to steer her toward in that regard.  To my surprise when I took her out shopping she wouldn't even look at the compounds, she was there for a traditional bow and that was it.  After a few visits to the bowshop searching for her just right first bow I was just as interested in making the change as she was.  We ended up purchasing a nice little starter longbow for her and I would probably have purchased one myself but funds were a little low and it was after all her birthday and not mine.

I went home and started online searching for a bow for me and of course that led to you tube and you tube led me to DIY videos and as a pretty handy guy with a shop full of tools and always looking for a project I was hooked.

Presently my passion is asian style bows and so far I've built and sawn into firewood half a dozen prototypes in search of something unique.  Not sure exactly what category I may fall into on this site but I hope there is a place for me here.  The one thing all my research has shown me is that there is no right way to build a bow.  Thru the history of man there has been thousands of cultures and everyone has had there own bow built from different materials and put together in different ways.  I like to describe it as 75% science and 75% art.  The fun is in what you can do with that extra 50%.

So currently I am trying to make a mid sized bow with large siyahs, a fairly modern handle shape, and laminated limbs of alternating wood and fibreglass.  The end goal is a is a hi performance, fairly weather proof, hunting bow with a very traditional appeal.  Most importantly to make it unique and different from anything else out there.

If you guys/girls are interested in what I'm up to will gladly start a thread and show you what I'm up and share ideas.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hello fellow bowyers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:36 am »
Welcome aboard!

Keep in my the "fiberglass" word isnt allowed, we use and talk all natural materials reagrding the build itself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:20:39 am »
Hello and welcome to PA.  It sounds like an interesting project and I'm sure many would really like to follow the progress.
Just remember, that any fiberglass work would need to be posted in "around the campfire".

Look forward to seeing your work.
1’—>1’

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:24:23 am »
Yep welcome! Always room for a new bowyer. There is a section ( around the campfire) where some people talk F_______s, but here we're all natural materials. If you can deal with that rule then post away, we always like seeing pics of someone's work.

Scott

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:51:22 am »
What they said, ;) and Welcome,you can build just as weather proof and performing bow out on natural material,so have at it . :) We love to help if you need it. Keep us updated on the progress,and we love pictures also.Enjoy the ride. :) :) It is additive I guess you know. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:29:28 pm »
Good to see ya caught the addiction like me :)
I wanted to buy an expensive long bow for myself as a graduation present to myself for getting through nursing school but just could not justify spending 1200 on a bow :o. I stumbled on this site and got to reading on how effective a self bow was and clearly the cost is low if you do it all yourself, long story short I love it 8)
The guys here won't steer ya wrong and will be happy to help you.
Greg

Offline VicNova

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:52 pm »
Welcome
Ypsilanti,  Michigan