Author Topic: Hazelnut bow build-a-long (fixed pictures)  (Read 285647 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Hazelnut bow build-a-long
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2007, 08:09:04 pm »
Very nice build-a-long Gordon, i'm really enjoying it! Just how much strength does silk add to the back of a bow?  I'm pretty new at this kind of stuff and my first thought of silk is that it's pretty thin, how can it add much strength?   I'm not doubting it, I just don't understand it.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2007, 08:23:45 pm »
Shannon, silk is incredibly strong for its weight. It will add a surprising amount of protection to the back.
Gordon

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2007, 08:28:17 pm »
How does it compare to thin rawhide?
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2007, 09:24:26 pm »
I'm not sure Shannon. I've never had a bow break that was backed with either rawhide or silk. I'll have to defer to others more knowledgable to answer your question.
Gordon

Offline Loki

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2007, 09:47:50 pm »
This is really good Bowyering,the Bow's looking wonderful!

I perform this step in natural light because the smallest flaws are nearly invisible in artificial light, but show themselves readily when the finish is applied.

Maybe one of the reasons it was illegal for bowyers in medieval England to work after sundown.
Andy
Durham,England

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2007, 09:58:48 am »
Outstanding buildalong, Gordon. To answer the question, rawhide is stronger than silk but silk will do the job of keeping the back together most of the time. I've used  it and have felt and seen splintering through the silk but the stuff kept the splintering down. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2007, 12:00:05 pm »
thanks for taking the time for doing this build along. I have learned a lot from this and cant wait to see the finished product. excellent workmanship as usual.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2007, 06:25:10 pm »
thanks for taking the time for doing this build along. I have learned a lot from this and cant wait to see the finished product. excellent workmanship as usual.

I concur... so many things i need to try   :D
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2007, 01:01:17 pm »
Before applying the skins I will build up the bow’s handle. The handle on this kind of bow can be uncomfortable because it is shaped for bending and not holding. Building up the handle will make it more comfortable to grip and shoot.

I cut 2 more strips of rawhide and bevel the edges on the sander.

The strips are laminated together using superglue and then shaped using a file.

I cut a strip of thick leather, glue it to the back and shape it. This will make it more comfortable for the shooter when wrapping their fingers around the handle.

Here is what the handle looks like when the build-up is completed.

The bow is now ready for the snakeskins.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:39:50 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2007, 10:53:43 pm »
by adding the rawhide, does it stiffen the handle some and make it bend less? if so, does this increase the poundage? do you also use super glue to attach the rawhide to the bow? (sorry for all the questions)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2007, 11:10:31 pm »
Dave,

The rawhide may have made the handle bend somewhat less, but I can still feel it flex slightly in my hand. The poundage has not changed. Yes, I used superglue for bonding both the rawhide and the leather.
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2007, 12:20:21 am »
I do a similar thing with all my bows to fill out the back of the handle. I use thick shoe leather. I have a few bendy handle bows that I used leather on back and belly and I usually use Tite-Bond.    Excellent tutorial, Gordon.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online medicinewheel

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2007, 03:53:11 am »

hi gordon!  -  so far i had only little time to look through your build-along; i'll work my way through it in the next days! but from what i've seen so far i agree with everybody: it's GREAT!!!

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Gordon

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2007, 10:14:49 am »
I'm waiting on the snakeskins to be delivered. I hope to receive them this week. Sorry for the delay.
Gordon

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2007, 11:36:24 am »
the suspence is killing us.. ;D