Author Topic: Cane shafts by Art B.  (Read 7289 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Cane shafts by Art B.
« on: November 04, 2007, 03:03:54 pm »
  I thought I'd share some of Art's fine work.I got these cane shafts last week and I just finished fletching and putting water buffalo nocks on.The five shafts with the short foreshafts are going to be loaded with 3"x1" stone points for a hog hunt in Dec.,at the Alexacarrie Plantation.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cane shafts by Art B.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:10:36 pm »
Nice arrows Eddie. Art is a true artist...and you don't do bad work either. ;)  Are those Bambusa canes?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:16:09 pm »
Beautiful.....I'm so jealous
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:19:55 pm »
  Thanks Pat,You nailed it.Thats some Bambusa you sent him.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:26:04 am »
Very nice Eddie. I've seen some of Art's arrows and he does some excellent work.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:30:34 am »
Them do look good, are those dowels inserted into the business end?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 05:36:05 pm »
  Yea Paul,It's Ash and Zebra wood.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 05:41:10 pm »
Cool! Just can't get over how good stone points look hafted to an arra - them look like they aughta penetrate...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 06:05:26 pm »
wow. the arras are great but i had to go back and reread the post to see if the nocks were plastic. excellent work from the both of ya. peace

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 08:50:25 pm »
  Paul ,I thought I'd try longer and bigger points after losing the two hogs earlier in the year.They weigh 200 to 210 grns,and I want big passthrue shots this time.The one I shot the turkey with flew great out of a 60#bow.It weighed the same.Claude Van Order knapped the coral point on the right and Charlie Brumbaugh from Paleo Planet did the Obsidean Dove tail on the left.Claude is making me a dozen matched coral points, like the one on the left.
  Jamie,Those nocks came out of the Phillipines.They were taking orders for them on PP a few months back.They do look like plastic,but they are horn.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 09:43:24 am »
I agree wholeheartedly on the heavier points - outa that dozen I made the one's that fly the truest are the two longs ones I hafted and they weigh more. I'll make em a little heavier from now on.....

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 02:50:50 pm »
Great looking projo's.  How do you practice with such a work of art without tearing them up before you even get to hunt with them?  I made my first home made arrow a few days back (nothing like these, I'm a total hack) and the first time I shot it, it hit about 12 inches below where I'd been hitting consistently with my carbon arrows at 15 yards.  It took me several (probably 10 tries) before I was able to consistently compensate for the increased weight.  By the time I got real good with it, the fletching was already starting to loosen up towards the point.  ???

By the way, what is "bambusa"?   :-[

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 04:09:42 pm »
Bambusa is a clumping type(as apposed to spreading type) of bamboo. Its full name is Bambusa multiplex. It has thick walls and about 12" of internode(between the nodes) as opposed to about 6" with other types of cane.
   When Art makes an arrow it flies perfectly for the intended shooter. He not only makes pretty arrows but he makes then for the bow and shooter, by draw length, arrow length, draw weight and physical weight.
  Each arrow that Art has made for me flies like a dart, right out of the box. ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 07:27:23 pm »
Otoe,Like Pat said about Art's arrows.No practise shots needed.The shafts for the stone points were made to shoot out of my 60# and 65# bow.Art knows what kind of shelf I have on the bow and the weight of the stone points I'm going to mount.He also knows I pull a little longer draw length.They are 32" long and I believe he said splined about 90# to make up for the heavy points.The others are splined 60# and 65# if left full length and mounted with 125 grain points.I will put a 200 grn junk point on and see how it shoots.But I have no doubt it will fly like a dart like the other dozen I have.I wish I had the talent and skill to make shafts like that.
Lakeland, Florida