Author Topic: sapwood backed laminated flipped tip osage in works  (Read 955 times)

Offline sleek

sapwood backed laminated flipped tip osage in works
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:52:12 am »
This bow has been under construction for some time now. Here are the stats so far. It is a work in progress. Sap wood backed, 2/3 sapwood, 1/3 heart because the back under the bark has beautiful character to it, 38#@28 ( lookin to get 40#, will pike 2 inches off total length for that ) 63" long tip to tip at the moment, with a stiff handle 12 inches in between the fades. I have one tip laminated so far with Brazilian cherry so far. It has a back and belly lam, and very narrow at the nock, 3/16 inch wide. I will be putting antler or horn over them as well.

There will be a wrap of some sort at the beginning of the lams to tie it in aesthetically. Not sure what yet, maybe a snake skin wrap with a built up base of cordage? The weight there would be minimal as the wrap will only be a bit less than 1.5 inches wide, and 12 inches in from the nock. I always welcome artistic and functional suggestions! The tips by the way, are also 12 inches long static flipped.

I am in love with the graceful curves this bow has. It has the appeal of a woman to me, and makes you feel like a man holding her. And I havent even put the last tip, finish shaped handle, and tru oil over it yet. I am looking forward to seeing arrows down range, and pics of the new owner holding her. Lord knows, he has been waiting almost a year for it now.

Heres the pics so far.

Back lam

Belly lam
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

Re: sapwood backed laminated flipped tip osage in works
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 04:37:45 pm »
Wow that thing looks sweet
I like osage