Author Topic: What's your FPS?  (Read 23976 times)

Offline crwjr

What's your FPS?
« on: April 08, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »
I got a new toy in the mail (more for my reloading but it works great for my bows) a chronograph!! I know this site is primitive but I'm sure some have shot through one?!?! Well here are my stats. My first bow is a Hickory boardbow and it is shooting 160fps on avg. my second bow is a meager 135fps. But it is a fun bow to shoot! What would a respectable speed be for defferent style bows?
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: What's your FPS?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:21:25 pm »
I have heard the rule of thumb 100+ the draw weight as an fps. I think it's a tad low, but it gives some sort of guide.
I'd expect maybe 110 + draw weight.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:42:24 pm »
I know a few folks frown on chronographs when it comes to wood bows but I personally think they're a fun and useful tool.

Soooooooooo many variables involved in comparing stats. Heck, temperature, humidity, M/C , actually bow weight, type string w/wo silencers, hunting or target setup and many other variables. New bows vs broke-in bows speeds are quite different. Just the different numbers from a set of wood arrows is an eye opener.

For example, I first tested a 40# Osage @24" (FF string) draw with two different arrows. One aspen (24" 5" parabolic cut feathers 377grs) and one cedar (24" 5" shield cut 382gr). Bow is well shot in and I averaged 160 fps. Now with a 28" hunting cedar arrow w/5  1/2" turkey feathers weighing 488gr I averaged 169fps. Same set of arrows but 522 grain cedar arrow, speed averaged 164fps.

So as you can see, actually arrow weight is meaningless unless the arrow likes your bow ;D. Art B

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:45:20 pm »
My 10# hickory bow shoots 125 fps. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:24:02 pm »
When used properly and everything is taken into account I think chrono's are very useful things.
Shooting a bow and then describing how it feels, how fast the arrows are etc are subjective things but a chrono just tells it how it is  :)
I've used a chrono for years now and just recently I decided to speed check all my 'personal' bows, when I finished I realised that all my fastest bows have one thing in common - they shoot like nothing has happened when you let go of the string...I guess what i'm trying to say is that what you feel in your hand when shooting tells you a lot.

Anyway to answer your question! My best speed so far is 212 fps with an 8.8 gpp arrow. 51lb @ 26 bow
I've shot that bow quite a bit now and it hasn't lost any speed.

Offline crwjr

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »
Art I agree some will frown, but I plan on building a hunting bow and I like to know my speed and weight to get a good penetrating set up for human kills. I'm going for a double lung pass through :)
So I have no problem using one for some good ol info.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline crwjr

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 08:29:53 pm »
When used properly and everything is taken into account I think chrono's are very useful things.
Shooting a bow and then describing how it feels, how fast the arrows are etc are subjective things but a chrono just tells it how it is  :)
I've used a chrono for years now and just recently I decided to speed check all my 'personal' bows, when I finished I realised that all my fastest bows have one thing in common - they shoot like nothing has happened when you let go of the string...I guess what i'm trying to say is that what you feel in your hand when shooting tells you a lot.
Agree!!! And I think if you hit 200 that's something to smile about congrats on that!!
And Squirrel that's impressive for that bow!!

Anyway to answer your question! My best speed so far is 212 fps with an 8.8 gpp arrow. 51lb @ 26 bow
I've shot that bow quite a bit now and it hasn't lost any speed.
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:03:14 pm »
Art I agree some will frown, but I plan on building a hunting bow and I like to know my speed and weight to get a good penetrating set up for human kills. I'm going for a double lung pass through :)
So I have no problem using one for some good ol info.

Human kills ROFL  >:D  >:D  >:D

Remind me to stay away from you  :o
>>>---------->

Offline crwjr

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »
You got me Duck lol, I'll make the excuse that it was my autocorrect iPhone   ::) you know what I meant (humane) lol
Pick a spot
Aim small miss small

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:49 pm »
I knew what you meant, I just can't stop laughing at it  ;D the whole thing is worded too perfect for human(e) hunting
>>>---------->

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 10:11:21 pm »

Check your facts.

The thing I took away from playing with a chronograph, a bow, and a set of carefully matched arrows....just how bloody dang important good releases are for consistency.  It's easy to see 15-20 fps difference between a good release and a bad release. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 10:44:00 pm »
I read the whole "human kills" thing earlier......Kept thinkin' wtf?  A joke maybe, but the timing was all wrong or something. Or maybe he is some kind of phsyco who just revealed himself...... Laughing out loud right now!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:16:42 am »
Usually 3 time draw weight is a about average and what I go by when I decide to test one, I can usually tell if they are fast enough for me when I shoot them.100 + draw weight is what a lot use as has been said. Anything in the 150s-160s fps for a 50 lb bow ant bad at all. :) 212 on the other hand is not normal.  :)
Not saying it ant so but I would need to see a 50lb self bow drawn at 26 inches with a 450-500 grain arrow do it. :) fastest I have ever see with them stats was average 181 and it was screaming. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:32 am »

Check your facts.

The thing I took away from playing with a chronograph, a bow, and a set of carefully matched arrows....just how bloody dang important good releases are for consistency.  It's easy to see 15-20 fps difference between a good release and a bad release.

is 125 good or bad for a 10-15# bow? i rechecked draw weight and it is acctually 15#. ill go down to the club and use the chronograph agian when i get the chance. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 07:48:04 am »
125 is very very good for that weight,  ??? :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good