Author Topic: Leaf Backing? Tillering check.  (Read 5807 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Leaf Backing? Tillering check.
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:22 pm »
Hey Guys, 

Building a bow for the girlfriend,  Just though I'd ask all of your opinions on the tiller.  It's going to be 25# @26", 64" ntn and 1 1/2" wide at the fade. Maple heat treated -  Pyramid style.  I have the last 1/4 of the limb non-bending.  I have it backed with linen.  I have it to 25#@ 22" right now.   

I thought the linen was a little ugly so I had the idea to do a leaf pattern on the back, purely for decoration/camo.    Has anyone done this before?  It was a bit of a pain in the ass.  I used leaves that had been sitting on the ground all winter, as that's all i have on hand right now.   I soaked them to make then more pliable, but that ended up being a bad idea, as it just made the glue watery and non-sticky.  I eventually got them to stay, with a ton of glue.  I'm thinking the best way may be to use hide glue, and apply the leaves like sinew.  Soak the leaf in the hide glue, squeeze the excess off and apply to bow.   Let me know if you have any advice. 

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Leaf Backing? Tillering check.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:55:15 pm »
Neat bow!

Never seen it done that way, but others have used leaves to decorate back of a bow... I especially liked Keenans Service Berry bow:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,9894.0.html

As for the tiller I think it looks pretty good.  It might be a hair stiff about 2/3rds of the way out on the bottom limb.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:46 pm »
What stops the leaves from decomposing? Looks cool for now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:20:44 pm »
I'd drop that thing on the forest floor and NEVER see it again!!!............

OneBow

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:06 pm »
Great Idea! SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:49:26 pm »
pearl. I think you would need to cook the leaves to kill all the bacteria before you apply to make sure nothing will decompose it.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:14:37 pm »
Like the idea of the leaves!  As long as they don't get wet they will not decompose - and if sealed with something I would think they would last.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:19:38 pm »
I may try this on one of my bows. I would dry out the leaves for two days. Kind of like seasoning leaves :P SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 09:10:53 pm »
Turns out my glue job wasn't very good and the sides didn't glue down very well.  I'm gonna scrape it all off and try round 2.    This time - I've boiled the leaves and they are now being pressed and dried between two cutting boards with a 15 lb weight on top.  Hopefully they'll all dry nice and flat.  Then I'm going to glue a bunch down, leaving a space between each leaf and wrap with cord.  Then, when that's dry, I'll go back and glue another layer on and fill in all the spaces/overlap the leaves. Hopefully it will work better.   

If there leaves are dry, there should be no worries about decomposition.  What keeps rawhide and sinew from decomposing on the back of a bow or any other natural material?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:50 pm »
Tiller looks good to me, and that backing looks sweet!!! I hope round 2 works out for ya.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:54:30 pm »
 Absolutely tillered...Good job
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 07:35:29 am »
Looks good to me ,bottom may be a little stiff mid limb but not bad.Rawhide and sinew ant the same as leaves.  :o  ;) Looks cool if you can make it work.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:24 am »
Your tiller looks off to me, the problem is, if I squint and look at it I see different things at different places and can't make up my mind what to go after first. Run a tillering gizmo up your limbs and see what it tells you, there are going to be a bunch of pencil marks.

A friend did the same thing with a pheasant tail feather as you tried with leaves, came out pretty nice.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:57:49 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:38 am »
Tiller looks good and very interested in the leaf backing please keep us updated.
The feather backing is also very nice. I did try this on a scrap bit of wood with a pheasant feather but it came out horrible. Was the vein removed first and how did you do it?

Sorry for the thread hijack.  :)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 05:56:14 pm »
remember with pyramid you're going for a circular tiller.  there's not a LOT of width taper so it may come out a little more elliptical.  Like Eric said, get a gizmo after it.

What about wetting fresh leaves in different colors of paint and laying the paint on in a similar pattern, so you won't have to worry about the actual leaves?  You could do autumn colors if that's what you're going for, and the edges will be less of a problem.  Something i've been considering but haven't gotten around to.