Author Topic: 2013 KY Turkey Season Questions  (Read 1906 times)

Offline oscar3b

2013 KY Turkey Season Questions
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:34:33 pm »
Hey everyone!  Turkey season opens this week in Ky and I can't wait!  My first hunting experience ever was turkey and I love it.  The only thing that I was wondering was what kind of setup you all use for decoys. 

This year I was thinking about using the full strutter but I'm afraid it will scare away more than it brings in though.  What do you all think?
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: 2013 KY Turkey Season Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:23 am »
Our go-to is a feeding hen and a feeding jake, right on the edge.  But our birds are a bit frosty up here, I don't know how those KY gobblers are.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:00:02 am »
   I set up my decoys when I use them a bit differnt. I don't set up in the open fields where the decoys can be seen. Gobblers ar'nt supit and know a turkey never stays still so only the really hot or jeluos come to field set ups.
   I like to set up in open woods. First off I set up where the gobbler has to go by me to gey to my decoys. I don't set up like TV hunters where they have to see the gobbler comeing to them to get the footage. I'm them to kill the gobbler. A gobblers not like a buck where a buck see's you as a non moveing stump. A gobbler see you as a hunter with camo. TRKEYS SEE DEPTHPERCEPTION.
   This way there atentions not only on the decoy up his attentions out to his front. Best way for you to beable to draw.
  Next I call the gobbler to be to where he can see the decoy or decoys to when he gets 40 ,60 yards. This way there are no hang ups. He's already comeing he see the decoy. This is uselly (99%) all it takes.
  He hurry past you his attentions out infront of you on the decoys. Giveing up pleny of time to draw.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:05:19 am »
  SOME VERY GOOD ADVICE MY GRANDDAD GAVE TO ME AS A KID.

IF YOU CAN SEE THE GOBBLER HE CAN SEE YOU.

I SET UP TO WHERE HE COMES FROM BEHIND ME (BOW). OR A HIIL TOP WHERE HE'S IN RANGE WHERE HE POPS THE HILL TOP (GUN). BOTTLE NECKS, MY FAVORET IS OLD TRACKOR ROADS BETWEEN FIELDS.

SOME WHERE ME'S IN RANGE BY THE TIME I SEE HIM.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:20:52 pm »
Great Advice from crooketarrow.  When bow hunting the decoy is set up facing the direction the gobbler is coming from, you set up between the two of 'em with your back to the gobbler and about a max of 20 yds from the decoy. 

Ol' Tom will probably strut his way in, likely even hanging up right dead behind you spittin' and drumming until you swear to all that is holy that you are just gonna snap around 180 and drill 'im.  Resist that urge at all costs.  Disconnect your brain from your body and stay frozen tight.

When he finally he has to kick your deke's skinny butt, he is gonna pass right by you with full fan on display!  And there is no way in blazes he can see you rise up and come to full draw with that big ol' fan on display!!!  PLUS every tail feather points right to the spot you wanna place the arrow....up the poop chute and into the vitals.  Sick? Yes.  Effective?  Definitely.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline oscar3b

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:29:57 pm »
Lol!  Wow JW...your right a little sick but they have to die so might as well get it done quick.  I went this past Saturday and set up on field edge (I didn't get to read this first) and I could hear gobblers all around the base of the hill I was on top of.  They never would come up though, and I was dumb enough to just sit there and keep calling. 

Next time I'll definitely try what you all are talking about.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll take all of it I can get. 
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:55:46 am »
  I set up gobbler decoys facing me out about 15 yards. A gobble will alway come faceing another gobbler. He won't turn his back on a on comeing gobbler. This way he's comes between you and the decoy.Faceing away his attentions not only on the decoy but it's away from you. Making drawing alot easyer.
   With hen decoys gobblers aways come from the back. So I again face them away about 15 yards. Placeing a decoy 15 yards if the gobbler dose commit you'll end up with a 8,10 yards shot.