Author Topic: war arrows of the Mary Rose?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline AH

war arrows of the Mary Rose?
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:55:31 pm »
I was just wondering,
what are you guy's thoughts on the lengths of the arrows on the Mary Rose? From what I've read online, apparently the average was 30.5", but whenever we see a warbow it's always drawn to 32"..? were the average draw legnths really just that short, or was the arrow legnth increased with a long head? I always wonder where the mystical "32 inch" draw came from.
Also, were medieval arrows really as heavy as they are often depicted? In the warbow world, we hear a lot about the "Quarter Pound Arrow", does anyone have any knowledge as to whether they really were this heavy?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: war arrows of the Mary Rose?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:49:32 pm »
You might get more answers on the War Bow thread.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:09:24 pm »
You might get more answers on the War Bow thread.
+1
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline scattershot

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:31:17 pm »
Arguments have been going on about this forever. I constantly hear references to the "clothyard shaft". The clothyard was a Flemish unit of measure, and was 28", to the best of my knowledge. I would hope someone could cast some light on this and clear it up, once and for all.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"