Author Topic: Concealed handguns for teachers  (Read 27199 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Concealed handguns for teachers
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:10:25 am »
A bit earlier I attended the Dublin ISD board meeting. During public comments I spoke in support of staff having the right to carry concealed handguns. It's a an example of democracy in action. It truly saddens me that it's a topic we have to tackle, but it's a different world than my grandparents grew up in.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

Re: Concealed handguns for teachers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:29:16 am »
It's a concept long overdue.  That very topic is picking up steam in my area.  People are finally getting sick of seeing students and staff being defenseless against some psycho looking for his five minutes of infamy on the evening news.  I feel for you Amigo.  It scares the Hell out of me to send my children into a potential slaughter zone that all but invites this kind of evil.  I'll quit now before I really get wound up.  Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:51:02 am »
I was in the middle of giving a birds of prey program with my birds in a public school when an announcement came over the loudspeakers that they were now in a Code Yellow Lockdown. 

I continued with the program in a room full of third graders as a teacher got up, went to the door and locked it.  I looked at her as she took a position next to the door, determination setting her jaw. 

As I spoke, I thought about the 2 inches of razor sharp steel in my right pocket and the hell-and-gone mean as a snake redtail hawk on my glove.  I almost felt sorry for some jack-wad wanting to mess with these kids.  At that moment, I was sure that whatever was needed to keep those kids safe was just fine with me.  Later on, they lifted the lockdown and things continued as normal.  All I could think of was some poor coroner going over an assailant's body, counting the cuts from the bird's talons and my pocket knife as he hummed Jim Croce's "Bad, Bad, Leron Brown".....and when the cuttin' was done, the only part that wasn't bloody was the soles of the big man's feet.

There is also a couple of consultants that are working with schools and teaching students how to "weaponize" themselves in a worst case scenario.  If a shooter comes in the room anything and everything that can be thrown gets thrown at the shooter.  I for one, would have a hard time shooting accurately with 25 American History books, notebooks, I-pads, calculators, pencils, protractors, shoes, desks, etc flying at my head!!!  Some parents have a problem with this.  But why they would prefer their child meekly submit to being shot like a sheep I dunno. 

If my child were in Cip's room, I'd pay for his practice ammo.  And I wouldn't be buying the cheap crap. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:19:51 am »
JW, I have a problem with it. My problem is none of that will kill the shooter. Teachers need to be throwing lead, not books.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 07:32:51 am »
It's in the legislative process here in IN. Cipriano. I have no problem carrying a concealed weapon while teaching if that is what's best for the safety of my students and coworkers. I also really like the idea that local law enforcement have an office or post to work out of at the schools instead of HQ. my only hesitation with armed teachers is that a few would be a liability having a gun in the classroom. If it is only a select number that have been officially certified, then that might save lives.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:29:50 pm »
From what I'm understanding, the legislation in Florida is saying that the principal has the right to name staff who may take the qualifying courses to conceal carry.

My viewpoint is that if would be assailants see the schools as a place where they have no idea who could be carrying, then the schools no longer are the "easiest target".  It's not that all teachers are going to be carrying...but no one will know who is or isn't.  Also, part of the apparent stipulation -  It MUST be kept concealed.

Right or wrong I don't know.  Whether my principal is qualified or not to judge character for who should or shouldn't carry, I don't know.  But, I like the idea of doing away with the "safe zone" concept.  Just a political term without substance.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:48:01 pm »
I dont think it will help a thing to be honest. These nut sacks attack school rooms knowing there are no guns to fight back. If we let guns in the class rooms they will start taking buses out with bombs or by flying through  the parking lot at let out time with a vehicle. Crazy people are crazy. They will find ways to accomplish their goals by attacking another "weak" area. With all that said, Im as pro-gun as anybody.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marks

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:34 pm »
I don't know whether I'm for it or against teachers having guns but if they did it would need to be selected teachers, concealed and they must got thru periodic psychiatric testing as well a law inforcement weapons training. I think having an officer posted at each school is a good idea. It just takes 1 half brained teacher who has had a real bad day to snap and go postal. I see both sides.  These days schools have to be treated almost like prisons with guard towers and bars on the doors.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 03:49:16 pm »
Training protocal is proposed to be the same for those security employees who would work at a bank or at court houses.  Can't say I know exactly what those programs entail.  You'd think a psychological evaluation would be important...what does that include?  Do you have a prior history of depression, anger, drug or alcohol abuse, previous psychological counseling, prior arrest record, etc.?  You need to be free of all this stuff and be willing to use appropriate lethal force for a possible life threatening intruder.  Wonder how many folks working in the school could honestly raise their hand.

Most people, I think, would be excluded from consideration because of a prior history or the flip side of the coin, they have "more liberal" political viewpoints on the issue.

It is interesting to think that people believe the perimeter of a school's property is where the imaginary line is that seperates being able to conceal carry and not, to be in a safe place or not.  That somehow we are safer right over here than we are just over there.

Restrictions affect law abiding citizens, not the criminals.

:-\

1’—>1’

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 04:08:34 pm »
Its not as simple as give em guns. When the school goes on lockdown what happens to the class of the teacher carrying a gun? Does the techer leave them to go start a gun fight? There are so many details and liablilies to work out for this to work just like when a mass shooting happens you can't just go and outlaw guns. It just don't work that easy.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 05:39:22 pm »
I look at it like this. My child is my responsibility to keep safe. That includes when I drop him off at school. If the teacher that has control of my son isnt mentally capable to carry a weapon, what makes that person capable of protecting my son? Way I see it, if the teacher cant handle a gun, the teacher cant handle kids. The children's safety is the teachers first responsibility. Teaching is second. Why would we send our kids to a person who is mentally not stable anyways, regardless of the gun question? And if a person is going to snap from a bad day at work, not having a gun at the moment doesnt stop a person from coming back with one. Which, is usually what happens anyways.

Folks say our children are our most precious resource. Yet, we send them to the most unsafe, unguarded places there are to spend half there life. Malls are more safe than schools. The government protects places it cares about, like military bases, capitols, and people, with guns, and lots of them. You dont hear about military bases having shootings from terrorists ( except one in texas last year ). Why doesnt the logic carry over? If nothing else, armed prior uniformed services in the schools. Like it has been said, the tax dollars have already been spent on training. Use it.

If every teacher has a gun, then there is no reason for a teacher to leave the class room to go fight a gun fight. If all doors are closed at all times, the teacher can guard the room easy. The logistics can be very simple.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »
I would feel safer in school if I knew my teachers were able to defend themselves. However, my biology teacher and my future chemistry teacher are pretty good to go.  I wonder how hard it is to shoot if a bunch of chickens are attacking you?
I also like another teacher's approach- if someone comes through that door, you have my permission to beat the carp out of them and throw stuff as long as they are NOT a police officer, or from this school. If they have a gun.. permission granted to throw books.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:25:51 pm »
We did not seem to have these issues when I went to school .
But then almost everyone had a gun in their truck and we shot clay targets for practice in the back yard of the school , not sure if that had any thing to do with no school shootings or not , or maybe it was The pledge and prayer before class started !
Anyway keep your kids safe !!
I will be watching out for my grand-kids now!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:23 pm »
Any teacher willing to go through a class and get qualified should be able to carry a weapon to school.  Almost everyone I know who has a carry permit is smart enough to know how to use it and when use it.  I'm sure there are exceptions, I just have not met them yet.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »
I did not read through all the posts so maybe this has been asked/ suggested?? Why don't they just lock down all the doors in a school and have a matal detector at the main entrance?? Anyone trying to gain access not going through the main door would be considered hostile, and a chosen teacher (with training) would confront anyone, and yes they would carry firearms. In todays camera futuristic society it is time to step up the game, a few people getting shot at school because they think they are going on a shooting spree may get a few of these idiots top go back to their video games. my .02

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.