Author Topic: Concealed handguns for teachers  (Read 27210 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Concealed handguns for teachers
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 07:34:33 pm »
Pour 300 gallons of fuel oil on a campfire all at once. I would be surprised if it does not go out.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline adb

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
You go first.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »
ADB,
No offense taken by this American,
 with all of the 24hr news sensationalism in our society today I can understand why you think the so called gun culture is the problem, but the fact is millions of Americans own a gun, make that plural,Guns; I own many guns myself. And millions of American gun owners are law abiding citizens, I have never been in trouble with the law the same as millions of my gun owning country men.
After the wild west days of the late 1800's, gun violence in America was a pretty rare occurence.
Until reciently.
The problem is societal,or more corectly,A break down of the society that  we once had.
It all seemed to change right around the time of the multi million dollar 24hr a day news wars, now days you can become an instant celebirty by bombing a sporting event or shooting up a school, everybody in the world will know your name.
But it was not just the news wars that caused this problem there were other factors,we used to treat the mentally ill, now we don't,they were turned loose on the streets. we used to have places for the mentally ill, now we don't, if you have a loved one with a mental issue, your only option is to call the cops, they'll arrest him and then turn him loose because he did not commit a crime.
Both of the major political parties are democrats or republicans first, and Americans second, and the thing thier most successful at is dividing us, the result is that we talk around each other now, agreeing only with those that share our views, it's win at all costs, I'm right and your wrong. We used to be able to compromise, now if someone from one party even says something nice about someone in the other party, his fellow dems. or reps. try to replace him in the next election.
Families and neighborhoods have broken down, children are growing up with no rules of conduct or consequences for thier actions. our prison system deals with pot heads more harshly than thieves or kids caught with illegal weapons, and in many cases prison life is better than life on the streets for some of these kids.
We suspend kids from school for pointing a finger at a play pal and saying bang, only to send them home to play first person shooter games that teach them to kill people.
I could go on and on, theres lots more, but the point is the problem is societal, it's cultural.
All of these crimes are committed by the young today, but the responsibility lies with us, the adults it's our disfunction that allows and prompts these actions. We need to learn to work together for a better America again like we once did.We need to stop dictating to each other and start listening to each other.
You can't force someone to believe, you can only convince them.

Kevin

Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline adb

« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »
That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Well said. We need to teach our children right and wrong, and give them healthy attitudes about things like guns.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2013, 10:35:15 pm »
We need a Politician with a big set of "the boys", to make Gun Safety, taught in the schools, mandatory. And then find out why all of the people that lied on gun applications and were turned down were not prosecuted, which is a felony offence.

And, no offence taken with my Canadian friend either, ;) but, I'd really be upset if I could only target shoot with my Ruger Super Redhawk and not be able to hunt with it, what a waste. I would probably be a criminal in Canada.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2013, 10:48:10 pm »
We need a Politician with a big set of "the boys", to make Gun Safety, taught in the schools, mandatory. And then find out why all of the people that lied on gun applications and were turned down were not prosecuted, which is a felony offence.

And, no offence taken with my Canadian friend either, ;) but, I'd really be upset if I could only target shoot with my Ruger Super Redhawk and not be able to hunt with it, what a waste. I would probably be a criminal in Canada.

Yes, I wish I could hunt with a handgun. If I could, I would. I think it's unfair and ridiculous that I can't. But, I wouldn't trade that for your predicament with gun violence.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2013, 10:30:21 am »
This is your news out of Canada  copied for your enjoyment!
"Canada may be at a crossroads right now. Although there are these very positive findings [about murder rate], and we are relatively safe compared to most of the rest of the world, there are some clouds on the horizons.

A couple of the more disturbing trends are that gun violence appears to have gone up over the last decade. This gun violence has become increasingly concentrated within our most socially disadvantaged communities. It’s usually men, between 18 and 29, from our most economically disadvantaged communities, who in my own interviews are very economically and socially isolated from the rest of Canadian society.

Many have felt that we need to explore whether these trends have led to an increase in the severity of gang activity. I find that when you take those pieces of information and you link that to the economic information that is coming out of our urban centres, we’ve got something to be worried about."
Have fun !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2013, 11:03:35 am »
1990s(U.S. Population: 248M-281M)

(Total number of schools: 132K) [67]

Main articles: Columbine High School massacre, Westside Middle School massacre, and Lindhurst High School shooting
According to a survey conducted in 1993 by The Harvard School of Public Health,[168] "15% [of students surveyed] said that they had carried a handgun on their person in the past 30 days, and 4% said that they had taken a handgun to school in the past year," a sharp increase from just five years earlier.

January 8, 1991, Richardson, Texas, Jeremy Wade Delle, 15, killed himself with a .357 Magnum in front of his second-period English class. The incident inspired the Pearl Jam song "Jeremy".
November 1, 1991 Iowa City, Iowa, University of Iowa shooting Former graduate student Gang Lu, 28, killed four members of the university faculty and one student, and seriously wounded another student, before committing suicide.
February 6, 1992 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, A 14 year-old student shot a 17 year-old student to death in a Douglass High School hallway, prompting the installation of metal detectors in city schools.
May 1, 1992: Olivehurst, California, Lindhurst High School shooting Eric Houston, 20, killed four people and wounded 10 in an armed siege at his former high school. Prosecutors said the attack was in retribution for a failing grade.
December 14, 1992: Great Barrington, Massachusetts, Wayne Lo, 18, shot and killed one student and one professor, and wounded three students and a security guard at Simon's Rock College.
January 18, 1993: Grayson, Kentucky, East Carter High School shooting Scott Pennington, 17, fatally shot his teacher, Deanna McDavid, and head custodian Marvin Hicks.[169]
According to the National School Safety Center, since the 1992-1993 U.S. school year there has been a significant decline in school-associated violent deaths (deaths on private or public school property for kindergarten through grade 12 and resulting from schools functions or activities):[170]

According to the U.S. Department of Education, in the 1998-1999 School Year, 3,523 students (57% High School, 33% Junior High, 10% Elementary) were expelled for bringing a firearm to school.[171]

December 17, 1993, Chelsea, Michigan, High school teacher Steven Leith walked out of a staff meeting, returned with a gun, fatally shot the school district's superintendent and wounded the principal and a teacher. The gunman, identified by co-workers as Steve Leith, a science teacher, was arrested at Chelsea High School, the police said. The shooting occurred about an hour after classes ended, during a staff meeting. The Police Chief, Lenard McDougall, said of the suspect: "I found him sitting in a chair in the classroom by himself. He said 'Hi,' and he was taken into custody. He was quiet, very quiet." A 9-millimeter semiautomatic gun was found outside the building, the police said. Joseph Piasecki, superintendent of Chelsea schools, died at Chelsea Community Hospital of multiple gunshot wounds. Phil Jones, 44, an English teacher, was treated for a stomach wound. The principal, Ronald Mead, 43, was shot in the leg.[172]
March 1, 1994: Boonville, Missouri, Dante D. Hayes, 33, a hunter and ex-convict, shot and killed Richard Vancena, 58, a cafeteria manager, and Robin Michelle Coleman, 33, a cook, in the mess hall of Kemper Military School and College. He was drunk and looking for his wife Anna Hayes with whom he had a fight the night before. No students were harmed. [173]
November 7, 1994: Wickliffe, Ohio, (Wickliffe Middle School shooting) Keith Ledeger, 37, a former student at the school, shot and killed custodian Pete Christopher and wounded four other adults.
January 12, 1995: Seattle, Washington, A 15-year-old Garfield High School student left school during the day and returned with his grandfather's 9mm semiautomatic handgun. He wounded two students.[174]
October 12, 1995: Blackville, South Carolina (Blackville-Hilda High School shooting) Anthony Sincino, 16, killed one teacher and wounded another before committing suicide.
November 15, 1995: Lynnville, Tennessee, (Richland High School shooting) James Rouse, 17, killed a student and teacher and seriously wounded another teacher with a .22-caliber rifle.
February 2, 1996: Moses Lake, Washington, (Frontier Middle School shooting) Barry Loukaitis, 14, killed a teacher and two students and wounded another student when he opened fire on his algebra class.
August 15, 1996: San Diego, California, (San Diego State University shooting) Frederick Martin Davidson, a 36-year-old graduate student killed three professors that he believed were involved in a conspiracy against him.
September 17, 1996: State College, Pennsylvania (Hetzel Union Building shooting) Jillian Robbins, 19, shot and killed one student and injured two outside Pennsylvania State University’s Hetzel Union Building.
February 19, 1997: Bethel, Alaska, Bethel Regional High School student Evan Ramsey, 16, shot and killed the school’s principal and one student, and wounded two other students..
October 1, 1997: Pearl, Mississippi, (Pearl High School shooting) Luke Woodham, 16, murdered his mother at home before killing his ex-girlfriend and another student and wounding seven others at Pearl High School. The perpetrator attempted to flee police and continue his killing spree at a nearby middle school, but he was stopped and detained by the Vice Principal,[175] Joel Myrick, who had retrieved his .45 caliber handgun from his car after hearing the shots fired. Woodham and his friends were said to be outcasts who worshiped Satan.
November 27, 1997: West Palm Beach, Florida, Conniston Middle School student Tronneal Magnum, 14, fatally shot Johnpierre Kamel, 14, outside school after an argument over a wristwatch.[176]
December 1, 1997: West Paducah, Kentucky, (Heath High School shooting) Three students were killed and five wounded by Michael Carneal, 14, as they participated in a prayer circle.
December 15, 1997: Stamps, Arkansas Joseph “Colt” Todd, 14, concealed in a wooded area on school grounds, shot and wounded two students as they were entering Stamps High School.[177]
March 24, 1998: Craighead County, Arkansas, Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, killed four students and one teacher and wounded ten others as Westside Middle School emptied during a fire alarm intentionally set off by Golden.[178]
April 24, 1998: Edinboro, Pennsylvania, (Parker Middle School dance shooting) Andrew Wurst, 14, fatally shot teacher John Gillette, 48, and wounded two students and a teacher at an 8th grade graduation dance.
May 19, 1998: Fayetteville, Tennessee, Jacob Davis, 18, shot Robert Creson, 18, in a dispute over a girl.[179]
May 21, 1998: Springfield, Oregon, After killing his parents at home, Kip Kinkel, 15, drove to Thurston High School where he shot and killed two students and wounded 25 others.
June 15, 1998: Richmond, Virginia, A 14-year-old student of Armstrong High School wounded a teacher and a school volunteer.[180]
December 10, 1998: Detroit, Michigan, Professor Andrzej Olbrot was killed by graduate student Wlodzimierz Dedecjus, 48.[181]
April 20, 1999: Columbine, Colorado, (Columbine High School massacre) Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, killed 12 students and one teacher, and wounded 21 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School.
May 20, 1999: Conyers, Georgia, (Heritage High School shooting) Six students injured by Thomas Solomon Jr., 15.
June 8, 1999: Lynwood, California, 15 year-old Jessica Yvette Zavala and her 17 year-old cousin, Olivia Munguia, were shot by an unknown assailant outside Lynwood High School.
November 19, 1999: Deming, New Mexico, A 13-year-old girl fatally shot at Deming Middle School by Victor Cordova Jr., 13. Cordova stated he had intended to commit suicide but was jostled by others and the gun moved.[182]
[edit] 2000s(U.S. Population: 281M-308M)

(Total number of schools: 136K) [67]

Main articles: Virginia Tech massacre, Red Lake massacre, Amish school shooting, and Northern Illinois University shooting
Date Location Deaths Injuries Description
02000-02-29February 29, 2000 Flint, Michigan !Flint, Michigan 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 At Buell Elementary School, 6-year-old Dedrick Owens, the youngest-ever school shooter, shot and killed classmate Kayla Rolland.[183]
02000-05-26May 26, 2000 Lake Worth, Florida !Lake Worth, Florida 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Lake Worth Middle School Florida teacher Barry Grunow was fatally shot by his student, 13-year-old Nathaniel Brazill, who had returned to school after being sent home at 1 p.m. by the assistant principal for throwing water balloons. Brazill returned to school on his bike with a 5 inch Raven and four bullets stolen from his grandfather the week before. Brazill was an honor student. Grunow was a popular teacher and Brazill's favorite.[183]
02000-08-28August 28, 2000 Fayetteville, Arkansas !Fayetteville, Arkansas 0,000,0012 0,000,0010 University of Arkansas shooting at Fayetteville, Arkansas At approximately 12:14 pm, Dr. John R. Locke, 67, Director of the Comparative Literature Program was shot and killed in his office by James E. Kelly, 36, a Comparative Literature PhD candidate who had recently been dismissed from the program for lack of progress towards his degree. Kelly shot Dr. Locke three times before taking his own life in Dr. Locke's office after it was cordoned off by campus police.[184][185][186]
02000-09-26September 26, 2000 Louisiana !Louisiana 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Darrel Johnson, 13, offender in Louisiana school shooting with 1 student fatality.[183]
02001-03-05March 5, 2001 Santee, California !Santee, California 0,000,0012 0,000,00113 Santana High School shooting: Charles Andrew Williams, a 15-year-old student, opens fires in Santana High School, killing two students and wounding 13 others. He was arrested and convicted of murder and attempted murder.[citation needed]
02001-03-07March 7, 2001 Williamsport, PA !Williamsport, PA 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 Elizabeth Catherine Bush, 14, wounded student Kimberly Marchese in the cafeteria of Bishop Neumann High School; she was depressed and frequently teased.[citation needed]
02001-03-21March 21, 2001 El Cajon, California !El Cajon, California 0,000,0010 0,000,0015 Jason Hoffman opened fire at Granite Hills High School, El Cajon, CA injury five people.[187]
02001-03-30March 30, 2001 Indiana !Indiana 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Donald R. Burt Jr., age 18, offender in Indiana school shooting with 1 student fatality.[183]
02003-04-24April 24, 2003 Red Lion, Pennsylvania !Red Lion, Pennsylvania 0,000,0012 0,000,0010 On April 24, 2003, eighth-grade student James Sheets entered Red Lion Area Junior High School armed with his stepfather's pistols and subsequently killed the school's principal, Eugene Segro, before killing himself.[188]
02003-09-24September 24, 2003 Cold Spring, Minnesota !Cold Spring, Minnesota 0,000,0012 0,000,0010 John Jason McLaughlin, age 15, offender in Minnesota school shooting with 2 student fatalities.[183]
02004-02-02February 2, 2004 Washington, District of Columbia !Washington, District of Columbia 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Unidentified offender in Washington, DC school shooting with 1 student fatality.[183]
02004-05-07May 7, 2004 Maryland !Maryland 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Unidentified 17-year-old offender in Maryland school shooting with 1 student fatality.[183]
02005-03-21March 21, 2005 Red Lake, Minnesota !Red Lake, Minnesota 0,000,0019 0,000,0015 Red Lake massacre: Jeff Weise, a 16-year-old student, opened fire at the Red Lake Indian Reservation, first killing his grandfather and grandfather's companion. He drove his grandfather's police vehicle to his high school, Red Lake Senior High School. Weise was armed with his grandfather's police weapons—
a .40 caliber Glock 23 pistol, Ruger .22 caliber pistol, and a Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun. He shot and killed five students, one teacher, and then committed suicide. Five other people were wounded in the shooting.[citation needed]

02005-11-08November 8, 2005 Tennessee !Tennessee 0,000,0011 0,000,0012 Kenny Bartley, age 15, offender in Tennessee school shooting with 1 principal fatality.[183]
02006-02-23February 23, 2006 Roseburg, Oregon !Roseburg, Oregon 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 14-year-old freshman Vincent Wayne Leodoro shot 16-year-old Joseph Monti four times in the back with a 10mm semi-automatic handgun, in the courtyard of Roseburg High School. Leodoro then walked away from the school campus and stood in front of a restaurant where he was confronted by six police officers. Leodoro then placed the handgun to his head and threatened suicide, while customers inside the restaurant and police officers convinced him to not pull the trigger. Afterward, Leodoro surrendered. He was found guilty of attempted murder and assault in July 2006, and will be held in prison until he turns 25 years old.[189][190]
02006-08-24August 24, 2006 Essex, Vermont !Essex, Vermont 0,000,00ff11 0,000,0010 Christopher Williams walked into Essex Elementary School and opened fire, killing teacher Alicia Shanks after killing his ex-girlfriend's mother, Linda Lambessis, at home.[citation needed]
02006-09-27September 27, 2006 Bailey, Colorado !Bailey, Colorado 0,000,0012 0,000,0010 Platte Canyon High School hostage crisis: Duane Roger Morrison walked into Platte Canyon High School and took six girls hostages and sexually assaulted them. As police entered the classroom he killed one hostage and then shot himself. He died later that day in a nearby Denver hospital.[191]
02006-09-29September 29, 2006 Cazenovia, Wisconsin !Cazenovia, Wisconsin 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Weston High School shooting: Eric Hainstock, a 15-year-old student, walked in the school building of Weston High School and shot the high school principal with a handgun after a custodian disarmed him of a shotgun in Cazenovia, Wisconsin. The school principal died, and Hainstock was charged and convicted of murder.[citation needed]
02006-10-02October 2, 2006 Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania !Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania 0,000,0016 0,000,0013 Amish school shooting: Charles Carl Roberts IV, a 32-year-old milk truck driver, shot to death five Amish girls and wounded five others before killing himself in an Amish school in the hamlet of Nickel Mines, in Bart Township, Lancaster County.[citation needed]
02007-02-08February 8, 2007 Prineville, Oregon !Prineville, Oregon 0,000,0011 0,000,001 A 18-year-old student at Crook County High School[192] died of a gunshot wound to the head in an apparent suicide in the school's parking lot.[citation needed]
02007-04-16April 16, 2007 Blacksburg, Virginia !Blacksburg, Virginia 0,000,00133 0,000,00125 Virginia Tech massacre: Seung-Hui Cho, age 23, shot and killed 32 students and faculty members, and wounded another 17 students and faculty members in two separate attacks on the same day. Cho committed suicide.[citation needed]
02007-10-10October 10, 2007 Cleveland, Ohio !Cleveland, Ohio 0,000,0011 0,000,0014 SuccessTech Academy shooting: Asa Coon, a 14-year-old suspended student, returns to SuccessTech Academy, where he fired shots at people inside the school building before committing suicide by shooting himself in the head. He shot and wounded two teachers and two students.[193]
02008-02-04February 4, 2008 Memphis, Tennessee !Memphis, Tennessee 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 At Hamilton High School, a 16-year-old student is shot in the leg during an argument with another student over music.[citation needed]
02008-02-11February 11, 2008 Memphis, Tennessee !Memphis, Tennessee 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 A 19-year-old senior is shot in his school's gym by a 17-year-old sophomore, following a feud that started off campus earlier in the week; after the shooting, the suspect hands his gun to a coach, saying, "It's over now."[citation needed]
02008-02-14February 14, 2008 DeKalb, Illinois !DeKalb, Illinois 0,000,0016 0,000,00121 Northern Illinois University shooting: Steven Kazmierczak shot multiple people in a classroom of Northern Illinois University, killing five and injuring 21, before committing suicide. Kazmierczak was not a student at the university, but had attended it the years prior to the attack.[citation needed]
02008-08-14August 14, 2008 Federal Way, Washington !Federal Way, Washington 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 26-year-old Omero Mende was sitting in his car parked on the Lakota Middle School campus to wait to pick up his girlfriend's son. There, he was confronted by 16-year-old Luis F. Cosgaya-Alvarez and two of his friends who were inside an SUV. Cosgaya-Alvarez flashed gang signs at Mendez, and then shot Mendez once in the head. Mendez later died of his injuries. Cosgaya-Alvarez was arrested a few days later in Seattle and was charged with murder.[194] Cosgaya-Alvarez pleaded guilty to murder and weapon enhancements and was sentenced to 18 years in prison.[195]
02009-01-09January 9, 2009 Chicago, Illinois !Chicago, Illinois 0,000,0010 0,000,0015 After a basketball game at Dunbar High School, a truck pulled over by the school, with shots being fired from inside it as people were exiting the school campus. Five people were wounded, three critically. Georgio Dukes, 18, was arrested and charged with five counts of felony aggravated battery with a firearm one week after the shootings. Police believe that the attack was gang-related.[196]
02009-04-26April 26, 2009 Hampton, Virginia !Hampton, Virginia 0,000,0010 0,000,0013 18-year-old Odane Greg Maye, a former student of Hampton University, followed 43-year-old pizza delivery man into his former dormitory, Harkness Hall. Armed with three guns, Maye took out one handgun and shot the pizza delivery man in the neck and stomach, wounding him. Maye then shot the dorm monitor twice in the arm and once in the leg. Maye shot himself in a suicide attempt. Odane was charged with two counts of aggravated malicious wounding, two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, breaking and entering while armed, possession of a firearm on school grounds and discharging a firearm in an occupied dwelling.[citation needed]
02009-05-18May 18, 2009 Cambridge, Massachusetts !Cambridge, Massachusetts 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 21-year-old Justin Cosby was shot in the basement common room at Kirkland House, an undergraduate resident hall of Harvard University. Cosby was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center with a gunshot wound in his abdomen, and died the next day. Four days later, 20-year-old Jabrai Jordon Copney, turned himself in for the murder of Cosby.[citation needed]
02009-05-18May 18, 2009 Larose, Louisiana !Larose, Louisiana 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 At Larose-Cut Off Middle School, Justin Doucet, a 15-year-old student, asked his teacher if he could use the restroom. While in the restroom, Doucet took out a .25-caliber semi-automatic handgun from his backpack and donned on camouflage clothes. The gun was registered to his father. Doucet entered a classroom that was not his, and pointed the handgun at the teacher. While walking towards the teacher, he demanded her to say "Hail Marilyn Manson!" and she did not respond. Doucet fired a shot at her, narrowly missing her head. Doucet walked back into the restroom where he shot himself in the head. He was transferred to Terrebonne General Medical Center in critical condition, and died one week later from his wounds.[197][198]
02009-06-16June 16, 2009 San Francisco, California !San Francisco, California 0,000,0010 0,000,0013 After students were being let out of International Studies Academy on the first day of summer school classes, a man exited a car and opened fire, wounding three people, including a 17-year-old female student. An 18-year-old man was arrested for being an accessory in the crime.[199]
02009-09-03September 3, 2009 San Bruno, California !San Bruno, California 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 A 20-year-old student was shot in the buttocks in the parking lot of Skyline College after an argument escalated between him and other men. Subsequently, the college campus was placed on lockdown. Three men San Francisco residents, Germaine B. Benjamin, 18; Dimaryea J. McGhee, 20; and Jacori W. Bender, 18, were arrested and were charged with felony firearm offenses.[200]

[edit] 2010s(U.S. Population: 308M+)

(Total number of schools: 140K) [67]

Main articles: Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and Chardon High School shooting
Date Location Deaths Injuries Description
02010-02-05February 5, 2010 Madison, Alabama !Madison, Alabama 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 14-year-old Hammad Memon is accused of shooting to death 14-year-old Todd Brown in a crowded school hallway of Discovery Middle School. He is facing a murder charge.
02010-02-12February 12, 2010 Huntsville, Alabama !Huntsville, Alabama 0,000,0013 0,000,0013 2010 University of Alabama in Huntsville shooting: Amy Bishop Anderson, a biology professor, shot and killed three of her colleagues and wounded three others during a faculty meeting. In September 2012, she was sentenced to a life sentence without the possibility of parole, and is serving her sentence at the Julia Tutwiler Prison for Women.
02010-02-23February 23, 2010 Littleton, Colorado !Littleton, Colorado 0,000,0010 0,000,0012 At Deer Creek Middle School, Bruco Eastwood opened fire from a Winchester Model 70 rifle in a parking lot. Two students, one female and one male and both eighth graders, were both shot and wounded. The boy's wounds were critical for the four days following the shooting. Eastwood was taken down by teachers and held until his arrest. In October 2011, Eastwood was found not guilty by reason of insanity.
02010-09-28September 28, 2010 Austin, Texas !Austin, Texas 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Colton Tooley, 19, a student at the University of Texas at Austin, fired multiple shots around the campus with an AK-47 semi-automatic rifle. Nobody was injured. After the shooting, Tooley walked into the Perry-Castañeda Library and then committed suicide.
02010-10-08October 8, 2010 Carlsbad, California !Carlsbad, California 0,000,0010 0,000,0012 Brendan Liam O'Rourke, 41, opened fire with a .357 handgun on a group of children during their lunch period at Kelly Elementary School. Two girls, ages 6 and 7, were hit and grazed by bullets. A construction worker held down O'Rourke until police arrived. O'Rourke wanted to target wealthy children and chose that school as his place of attack. He was sentenced to life in prison.
02010-10-10October 10, 2010 Salinas, California !Salinas, California 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 15-year-old student Jose Cisneros is shot to death on an athletic field at Alisal High School. Police said that the shooting was gang-related.[201]
02010-11-29November 29, 2010 Marinette, Wisconsin !Marinette, Wisconsin 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Samuel Hengel, 15, took 23 students and a teacher hostage inside a classroom of Marinette High School for several hours. Before the hostage situation, Hengel stormed in the classroom with a handgun and fired shots at a movie projector while a movie was playing. After releasing all the hostages, police entered the building and Hengel shot himself in the head. He died the next day.
02010-12-06December 6, 2010 Aurora, Colorado !Aurora, Colorado 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 In a gang-related attack outside Aurora Central High School, a 17-year-old girl was shot and wounded. The wounds caused her to be paralyzed. Luis Enrique Guzman-Rincon, 20, fired shots from a car while students were standing outside the high school, trying to shoot at a group of students who were believed to be gang rivals. Guzman-Ricon was sentenced to 35 years in prison.[202]
02011-01-05January 5, 2011 Omaha, Nebraska !Omaha, Nebraska 0,000,0012 0,000,0012 At Millard South High School, Robert Butler Jr., 18, shot and killed Assistant Principal Dr. Vicki Kaspar, and wounded Principal Curtis Case. Butler then opened fire indiscriminately in the front office area, causing the school nurse to be injured by gunshot debris. Butler drove to a parking lot and then fatally shot himself.
02011-03-25March 25, 2011 Martinsville, Indiana !Martinsville, Indiana 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 Michael Phelps, a 15-year-old suspended student, returned to Martinsville West Middle School with a 9mm handgun. In the entrance of the school, Phelps encountered 15-year-old Chance Jackson and shot him twice in the abdomen. Phelps fled the school and dropped the handgun in a field and was arrested shortly after.[203] As a result, Jackson suffered from life threatening injuries and underwent surgery three times, and suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. Phelps was convicted of attempted murder in August 2011, and was sentenced to 30 years in prison and 5 years of probation.[204][205]
02011-05-10May 10, 2011 San Jose, California !San Jose, California 0,000,0013 0,000,0010 Napoleon Lavarias Caliguiran, 54, shot and killed his 25-year-old wife and a 26-year-old man in the fifth level of a parking garage of the San Jose State University campus. Caliguiran shot himself and died later that night in a hospital.
02011-05-23May 23, 2011 Pearl City, Hawaii !Pearl City, Hawaii 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 A 14-year-old student is accused of firing a handgun on the campus of Highlands Intermediate School, wounding one student. The gunman was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
02011-10-24October 24, 2011 Fayetteville, North Carolina !Fayetteville, North Carolina 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 A 15-year-old girl was shot in the neck at Cape Fear High School. She was hospitalized in serious condition. A .22-caliber rifle was used in the attack. A student of the school, a 15-year-old male, was arrested and charged with attempted murder.
02011-12-08December 8, 2011 Blacksburg, Virginia !Blacksburg, Virginia 0,000,0012 0,000,0010 Ross Truett Ashley, 22, a part-time business student at Radford University, shoots and kills a police officer on the campus of Virginia Tech. Shortly after, he leaves the scene and returns and commits suicide.
02012-02-27February 27, 2012 Chardon, Ohio !Chardon, Ohio 0,000,0013 0,000,0013 Chardon High School shooting: Thomas "T.J." Lane, 17, is believed to have taken a Ruger MK III .22 caliber semi-automatic handgun and a knife to Chardon High School and fired ten shots at a group of students sitting at a cafeteria table. Three students died in the attack; a 16-year-old boy died immediately, and two other male students died from their wounds the following day. Three other students were injured. Lane was arrested when he was standing near his car parked near the school, and is charged as an adult with murder, attempted murder, and firearms offenses.[206]
02012-03-06March 6, 2012 Jacksonville, Florida !Jacksonville, Florida 0,000,0012 0,000,0010 At Episcopal School of Jacksonville, fired Spanish teacher Shane Schumerth, 28, shot and killed head of school Dale Regan before committing suicide. Schumerth, who had been struggling with depression, was fired for incompetency around 8:30 a.m. on March 6, 2012 and escorted off school grounds. He returned to the campus at 1:15 p.m. with an AK-47 assault rifle concealed in a guitar case. He entered Regan's office and shot her multiple times before turning the gun on himself.[207][208]
02012-04-07April 7, 2012 Oakland, California !Oakland, California 0,000,0017 0,000,0013 Oikos University shooting: One Goh is accused of shooting to death seven students and wounding three others in a classroom at Oikos University, a small Christian college. The gunman told the students in the classroom to line up against the wall, and exclaimed "I'm going to kill you all!" before firing the gun at them. He fled the scene, stealing a victim's car, and was apprehended hours later in a nearby location. The weapon used was a .45 caliber handgun. Goh is charged with seven counts of murder and is believed by his psychiatric to suffer from paranoid schizophrenia.
02012-08-16August 16, 2012 Memphis, Tennessee !Memphis, Tennessee 0,000,0010 0,000,0012 Two Hamilton High School students were shot and wounded in the parking lot of the school. The attack was believed to be gang-related.[209]
02012-08-24August 24, 2012 Homer, Georgia !Homer, Georgia 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 A 16-year-old student at Banks County High School fatally shot himself in a school restroom.
02012-08-27August 27, 2012 Perry Hall, Maryland !Perry Hall, Maryland 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 Robert Gladden, 15, allegedly took a double barrel shotgun to Perry Hall High School and fired shots inside the school cafeteria. A 17-year-old senior with Down syndrome was hit in the lower back while he was sitting at a table and suffered critical wounds. Gladden was immediately subdued by two school faculty members, and was arrested. He is being tried as adult for 9 counts of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon.[210][211]
02012-09-07September 7, 2012 Normal, Illinois !Normal, Illinois 0,000,0010 0,000,0010 A student fired multiple gunshots in the ceiling of Normal Community High School, and was tackled by a teacher. Nobody was injured. A 14-year-old student was arrested and is charged with 16 felony counts.[212]
02012-09-26September 26, 2012 Stillwater, Oklahoma !Stillwater, Oklahoma 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 Cade Poulos, 13, shot himself in the head shortly before classes started at Stillwater Junior High School.[213]
02012-10-31October 31, 2012 Los Angeles, California !Los Angeles, California 0,000,0010 0,000,0014 At a Halloween party on the University of Southern California campus, an argument escalated and a man pulled out a handgun and shot Geno Hall seven times, critically wounding him. Three other people, who were not students of USC, were shot and wounded and hospitalized with less serious injuries. Brandon Spencer, 20, was arrested for the shooting.
02012-12-14December 14, 2012 Newtown, Connecticut !Newtown, Connecticut 0,000,00128 0,000,0012 Adam Lanza, aged 20, killed 26 people and himself at the Sandy Hook Elementary School. He first killed his mother at their shared home before taking her guns and driving to the school. Lanza brought four guns with him; A Bushmaster .223 caliber XM15-E2S rifle, a Glock 10mm handgun, a Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun, and a Izhmash Saiga-12 12 gauge shotgun which was later found in the trunk of the car and not used in the shootings.[214] During the attack, 20 first-grade children aged six and seven were killed, along with six adults, including four teachers, the principal, and the school psychologist. Two others were injured. Lanza used the Bushmaster .223 caliber rifle against all of the victims at the school. He then took his own life with one of the handguns as police arrived at the school. According to the state's chief medical examiner, H. Wayne Carver, all of the victims were shot between 3 and 11 times.
02013-01-10January 10, 2013 Taft, California !Taft, California 0,000,0010 0,000,0012 A gunman entered a science classroom of Taft Union High School with a 12 gauge shotgun and opened fire. A 16-year-old male student, identified as Bowe Cleveland, was shot in the chest and critically wounded. Another student was shot at, but was not hit. The classroom teacher, Ryan Heber, convinced him to drop his weapon, and the gunman followed his order and was later arrested. Additionally, Heber suffered a minor wound from being grazed by a shotgun pellet during the ordeal. The gunman is suspected to be a 16-year-old student of the school, Bryan Oliver. Cleveland and the other student that was shot at are both believed to be intended targets of the gunman. On January 14, Oliver was charged with two counts of attempted murder and assault with a firearm.[215][216]
02013-01-12January 12, 2013 Detroit, Michigan !Detroit, Michigan 0,000,0010 0,000,0011 A 16-year-old boy was shot in a field across the school campus after a basketball game was held at Osborn High School. He was hospitalized in serious condition.[217]
02013-01-15January 15, 2013 St. Louis, Missouri !St. Louis, Missouri 0,000,0010 0,000,0012 A gunman shot an administrator in his office on the fourth floor of Stevens Institute of Business and Arts, wounding him. The suspected gunman, Sean Johnson, a part-time student, shot and wounded himself on a stairwell. Both the administrator and Johnson were hospitalized in stable conditions. Johnson was charged with three felony charges, including assault.[218]
02013-01-15January 15, 2013 Hazard, Kentucky !Hazard, Kentucky 0,000,0013 0,000,0010 Two people are shot and killed and a third person was wounded at the parking lot of Hazard Community and Technical College. The third victim, 12-year-old Taylor Cornett, died from her wounds the next day. 21-year-old Dalton Lee Stidham was arrested and charged with three counts of murder.[219]
02013-01-16January 16, 2013 Chicago, Illinois !Chicago, Illinois 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 A 17-year-old boy, Tyrone Lawson, was shot to death in a parking lot of Chicago State University. The shooting happened after high school basketball games were being held on the university campus, and Lawson was a spectator at the event. Police arrested two people after the shooting and recovered a weapon.[220]
02013-01-22January 22, 2013 Houston, Texas !Houston, Texas 0 3 Between the Library and Academic Building outside of Lone Star College–North Harris, two men got into an argument and one of the men pulled out a gun and shot the other man, a student, injuring him. A maintenance man suffered a gunshot wound to the leg. The gunman accidentally shot himself in the leg. After the shooting, the gunman fled into the woods and was arrested hours later. The charges against the initial suspect were dropped and another man was arrested.[221]
02013-01-29January 29, 2013 Midland City, Alabama !Midland City, Alabama 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 2013 Alabama bunker hostage crisis: A gunman, believed to be a man in his 60s, boarded a school bus and shot the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland Jr., 66. Poland was killed. The gunman abducted a 6-year-old child and held him hostage in an underground bunker.[222]
02013-01-31January 31, 2013 Atlanta, Georgia !Atlanta, Georgia 0 2 A 14-year-old male student was shot and wounded in the back of the neck at Price Middle School. The gunman, a student, was believed to be arguing with the other student before taking out a handgun and firing multiple shots at him. In addition, a teacher was injured during the shooting. Afterward, the gunman was disarmed by a school resource officer and subsequently apprehended.[223][224]
02013-03-18March 18, 2013 Orlando, Florida !Orlando, Florida 0,000,0011 0,000,0010 At the University of Central Florida, 30-year-old student James Oliver Seevakumaran pulled a fire alarm went off at the Tower 1 dormitory. According to plans he had written, Seevakumaran intended to attract a large amount of people inside the building to gather and shoot them. He then pointed a handgun at his roommate and threatened to shoot him inside their dormitory room. Seevakumaran released his roommate who ran into a bathroom to call 911. Seevakumaran then fatally shot himself in the head. Authorities found an assault weapon, a couple hundred rounds of ammunition and four homemade bombs inside his backpack.[225]
02013-04-19April 19, 2013 Cambridge, Massachusetts !Cambridge, Massachusetts 0,000,0012 0,000,0011 At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, near Building 32 (Stata Center) at 10:48 p.m. EDT,[226] a campus police officer was shot multiple times.[227] The officer, 26-year-old Sean Collier, was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in nearby downtown Boston, where he was pronounced dead. The shooting was believed to be perpetrated by the suspects of the Boston Marathon bombings that took place in Boston three days prior to this shooting.[228][229] The two suspects are brothers Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev.
About three hours after the MIT shooting, Tamerlan died in a gunfight with police in Watertown, Massachusetts. In that gunfight, another officer was shot and seriously wounded. Dzhokhar was arrested 18 hours afterward in Watertown, and was hospitalized in critical condition from a gunshot wound to the neck. The gunshot wound was possibly from a suicide attempt.

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline adb

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2013, 11:25:04 am »
This is your news out of Canada  copied for your enjoyment!
"Canada may be at a crossroads right now. Although there are these very positive findings [about murder rate], and we are relatively safe compared to most of the rest of the world, there are some clouds on the horizons.

A couple of the more disturbing trends are that gun violence appears to have gone up over the last decade. This gun violence has become increasingly concentrated within our most socially disadvantaged communities. It’s usually men, between 18 and 29, from our most economically disadvantaged communities, who in my own interviews are very economically and socially isolated from the rest of Canadian society.

Many have felt that we need to explore whether these trends have led to an increase in the severity of gang activity. I find that when you take those pieces of information and you link that to the economic information that is coming out of our urban centres, we’ve got something to be worried about."
Have fun !!

I'm not saying Canada is perfect... far from it. But we have no where near the number of gun related violent incidents or murders. We don't have a gun culture in Canada like the USA. Yes, we have plenty of guns (and I have my fair share), but I believe we have a much different attitude towards them. Owning guns is not our constitutional right. I have to earn the right to own guns, and I have to maintain that right with common sense. Canadians don't solve their issues with gun violence... we don't think of it as our first option. Check out the gun related murder stats between Detroit and Windsor. Two cities within spitting distance, only separated by a border. In 2011, there was 1 case in Windsor... in Detroit, 358 in the same time period. There is a reason for this.

Like I said... we play hockey, have fist fights, and drink beer!!  ;D ;) 8)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:03:55 pm by adb »

Offline yehti

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2013, 09:42:37 am »
Gun safety being taught in school won't solve our problems with violence, nor will making more laws about firearms when we don't enforce the laws we currently have on the books.  Fixing the mental health issues we have in our country will go a long way toward helping the current situation. As to looking how well our friends across our northern border do it, you allowed your Prime Minister to be hit in the face with a pie (no security problems there) and you play hockey, have fist fights, and drink beer!! It sounds like a great time if you are into juvenile High School hijinks.  I don't think that's a direction we as a nation need to go.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision”.
--Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Offline adb

« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2013, 11:46:14 am »
How does our PM getting hit in the face with a pie have anything to do with gun violence in the USA? But, that being said, would you rather get a pie in the face, or a bullet in the face? But, if you want to talk breaches of Presidential security... three names... Lincoln, Kennedy, and Reagan.

I already said our country isn't perfect. It's not, but we do not have the same attitudes towards guns. As a result, we don't have the same problems.

Do you honestly think your country is heading in a good direction? Are you currently happy with your situation? And I'm just talking about the issue at hand... gun violence, and more specifically arming teachers.

As far as playing hockey, having fist fights and drinking beer goes... I was attempting to add a small amount of humour to a very serious issue. But, then again, I'd rather do those things than live with your issues.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:26:20 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2013, 07:20:24 pm »
I live in a free country. My ancestors came here from Europe in the 1700s. Members of my family fought for that freedom. Both of my Grandfathers fought in WWII. The price you've paid is no higher. My father and grandfather taught me about guns and shooting and hunting. But, that's not what we're talking about.

My point is... Americans and Canadians have different attitudes about guns. Those choices have consequences. If you're not happy with your current situation, change it. You're either part of the problem, part of the solution, or part of the scenery. America has a serious problem. You need to fix it. You can't do that until you admit you have a problem.

Anyway, as I've always said, I'm not looking to offend anyone... just provide food for thought. I don't think I can add anymore to the point I'm trying to make, so I won't.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2013, 09:40:59 pm »
Well,,, After reading the post some of y'all are deleting and seeing where this is going ::) it is almost time for a Moderator,(me) to put a stop to this post.

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2013, 01:12:19 am »
Well,,, After reading the post some of y'all are deleting and seeing where this is going ::) it is almost time for a Moderator,(me) to put a stop to this post.

Thanks Eddy.. Folks I feel this is a subject that needs discussion with like minded folks "us."

BUT we MUST remember the RULES.

PLEASE

Bottom line is you are all wrong... And you are all right. Me included. There's not one solution. Not one right option and one wrong option. It's a SOCIATEL ill that's so horrible wrong and twisted that leaves us all with no easy solution.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2013, 12:10:26 pm »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views.....with no winners! :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.