Author Topic: Wild rose small game arrows  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Scallorn

Wild rose small game arrows
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:19:48 pm »
I live in an area where I have access to a lot of arrow material. I have two different species of cane(that I know of), sour wood, several different viburnum species, wild rose, and a few other shrubs and bushes that I don't know the name of. I made these out of wild rose, primarily for small game. The fletching is turkey feathers, and the points are glass. I knapp alot of glass due to a shortage of knappable stone in my area. They are light and fly super fast. Wild rose is also very durable, I shot one of them into the trunk of an osage tree, and it only damaged about a quarter inch of the shaft on the very end. So I cut it, put another point on it, and went on to kill a squirrel later that week. Sorry 'bout the bad pictures.  :)

Offline Scallorn

Re: Wild rose small game arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:23:16 pm »
here are the points.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:30:03 pm »
Ooohhhh Nice arrows!!!!
I like the points!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:40:18 pm »
Nice arrows

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »
Nice work! For the effort and durability, be lucky you have access to cane. It's about all I use anymore.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »
Yeah Tracy, cane is some really good stuff. I cut a couple of big bundles of river cane the other day, it's drying in my closet. I have high expectations for it  :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:33:15 am »
Good looking arrows,thay look deadly. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:24:40 am »
Nice arrows Scallorn.I'd like to try some of those wild rose shafts.Heard good things about them.Don't have any growing wild around me here.Got lots of dogwood though and really like the way they turn out for me.Maybe trade or buy some at the classic if some is available there.I kinda wonder about the spine mostly gotten on them though for a 55# bow.Will they get up to a 55# spine under 23/64" thickness?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 02:07:46 pm »
Beadman, I wish I could give you a better answer. But I don't really measure for spec's like that, the only spine testing I do is by hand. I compensate for the lack of uniformity by making my arrows a little bit longer than usual, I have found longer arrows fly better. I have learned that, to get the same stiffness as cane or hardwood, the rose shafts do need to be a little thicker. The shoots have a lot of "pith" in the center, so they tend to be a bit weaker. My bow is 50#, and they shoot fine out of it. Here is a picture of the middle of one of the shafts compared to one of my hardwood shafts. The rose (top) is only slightly thicker. One more thing, rose also has alot of charachter in it,it won't look quite as pretty, but it will still fly good. Hope this helps

Offline Horse Thief Killer

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 10:40:30 pm »
Those look really great to me. I always love the colored stone tips. Great job.   8)

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:24 am »
Verry nice indeed. I have a dozen wild rose I'm working on right now. They seem a bit weeker then the red osier I have. I'm excited to get a few complete to try them out.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 12:00:22 pm »
I love multi-floral rose shafts.  Shoot, those look nice why keep them for small game?  If the laws aren't strick where you are, I'd deer hunt w/ em too.  Small game and glass points....for me end up being chiesel tipped points, they still work for small game too.  :o

Nice work, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)