Author Topic: "Burl" Black Walnut  (Read 7683 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

"Burl" Black Walnut
« on: April 24, 2013, 12:46:49 pm »
About 7 or 8 years ago I met a guy online who was looking for a selfbow and I happened to be looking for a black walnut stave to try. He knew where a tree was and offered to cut it down, split and mail it to me if I made him a bow from one of the staves. I accepted and awaited the staves to arrive.  never cutting bow wood before, Dax (the guy in mention) must have picked the most twisted and knotted tree he could find and sent it to me.  Somewhat discouraged, I still managed to save 2 short, knotted and twisted staves but I knew I wasn't up for the challenge at that point. I told him that the staves likely wouldn't yield a bow but I offered to build him a bow from elm anyways.  I mailed the bow out (he still has it to this day) and upon receiving it, Dax invited me to hunt deer or turkeys in alabama as a good faith trade for the bow.  I accepted and so a friendship began that has taken us to at least 1 -2 hunts together each year between, FL, AL and MT.  A few years later I picked up the best (relative term) stave and made a short recurve from it and shot it a little while. I sent it home with Dax one day as I knew it would likely mean a lot to him as the stave came from his late grandmother's land.  Last month I found myself looking at the last stave that had a huge burl, a small burl and about 90 degrees or solid twist. I knew a bow was in there, but just didn't know if I could coax a decent bow out of it or not. Not liking the sapwood color of Walnut, I chased it down to heartwood and began carefully eliminating wood that didn't look like a bow. Once reduced, I steamed and bent as much twist out as possible. The stave was short but I knew it would accommodate my 22" short draw nicely. Once cool and dry I continued with the chopping and scraping until I came up with this as a final product. Perhaps not my "best" bow, but I am very pleased considering the stave it came from and also the story behind the piece of wood. Now, just as planned several years later, we both have a black walnut bow from the deal and the trade is complete.  I have gained a valuable friend and hunting partner along the way.  We used to joke that those Black walnut staves were bad luck b\c of a couple failed attempts early as well as a bow breaking that had tips made from  that tree. Turns out it was good luck all along.

Now that you have heard the story behind the bow, here are the specs of the bow itself. 54" long ntn 58# @ 22". The tips are strengthened up with walnut overlays. I don't normally name my bows, but this one has pretty much adopted the name "Burl" obviously due to it's physical attributions.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: "Burl" Black Walnut
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:47:38 pm »
last pics
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:07 pm »
Mighty sweet!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 01:32:22 pm »
that "node" in the limb really adds to the character of this bow. this should be entered for BOM, great story behind the bow. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 01:46:57 pm »
That is beautiful, love everything about it!!!  And, if the arrow don't do the job, you could always whack the animal over the head with that huge knot/burl ;)

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »
nice bow, with some character too.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »
wow what a challenging piece of wood...great job!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:26:32 pm »
Sweet

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 02:36:56 pm »
Cool story, even cooler bow!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 03:13:27 pm »
Wow....... quite impressive work.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 03:15:18 pm »
 Great bow Ryan, not just because it looks nice, has awesome character, is from a difficult stave and has a good story behind it, but
 because it also has perfect tiller to go along with all the other attributes. Nice work on that beauty.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 03:37:15 pm »
Looks great.  Good read.
1’—>1’

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 03:51:26 pm »
Nice work! Forgive my ignorance ,but I am wondering what the shooting characteristics are on a bow like this?Does the extra weight cause it to "jump" in the hand, or cause any hand shock?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 04:19:05 pm »
impressive, beautiful,and impressive ;)  :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:02 pm »
Sometimes it's beauty of the wood.  Sometimes it's thrill of the hunt.  Sometimes it's the challenge of doing things that are just beyond our rote ability to accomplish.  It can be the art or the craftsmanship, the perfection of the simple machine.  ...but it is always BEST when it is all of these AND the friendships we can have with likeminded folk.

OneBow