Author Topic: Cable backing  (Read 4286 times)

Offline chrisdaggs

• Thanks you for letting me join the forum
Cable backing
« on: September 02, 2016, 05:46:39 pm »
I was wondering how to use a cable backing for a bow I am making. Do I glue it on loose and tie it for extra support  or just tie it?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:01:09 pm by chrisdaggs »
Learning new tricks is a great way to spend the day.

Offline loon

Re: Cable backing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »
tie on polyester/dacron, there's an article about anasazi cable backing in one of the PA issues. use a toggle to twist it into tension once tied. no idea how you'd use glue with one..

hmm maybe i should do this with my very long red oak bow. or make a shorter one..

people argue against nylon but maybe it would work too - you'd probably have to use much thicker cable however

I taught a survival bows class today, and I was super excited because I got the idea of trying out the Inuit cable-backing method with nylon cordage.  I was showing the class how to make simple bows out of cedar, particularly branches which were nearly-dead, but not all-the-way dead.  Well, some people inevitably picked a stave that was all-the-way dead.  I could get maybe four inches of flex on it before it started to make cracking noises.  So, I used 50ft of nylon cordage and backed it like an Inupiaq bow, really twisted the hell out of the cordage, and the result was astonishing.  I made a roughly 50# @28" bow from a piece of rotten cedar and some cord.  It has horrible cast, and it's ugly, but it didn't explode in my face!  I basically felt like a primitive skills badass, especially since it was my first ever cordage-backed bow attempt.  I'm definitely going to try to make a proper replica of an Inupiaq bow now though.  I think I'm going to go to the National Museum of the American Indian, as I know the folks in the back rooms, and they'll let me take measurements.  So the replica should turn out pretty nicely if I can find time in my schedule to make it.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:28:04 pm by loon »

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 06:33:14 pm »
Never made a cable back bow but in the book N American bows,arrows, and quivers has a lot of info & pics on that type of bow .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:59:47 pm »
I've made a jute cable out of 4 strands of twisted jute twine making it about the same as the bow tip to tip.  Just trying to find out how to attach it to the bow

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:10:48 pm »
I just took a look in that book & all the cable backed bows where tied on in one fashion or another some of them pretty elaborately , they are tied to keep the cable dead down the center line ,you could probably use more jute to do it in a way to keep the cable centered & tight to the back ,looks like you have some experimenting to do ,good luck. 
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:32:20 pm »
Thanks will let you know how it goes

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:05:21 pm »
Bow exploded all over the shop

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 09:29:56 pm »
I might try  two strands instead of four

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:45:57 pm »
I've made 2 cable backed bows. It was a long time ago, so don't remember the details of them, like dimensions. One exploded, the other survived. But in both cases I added the cable after the bows were tillered. The one that broke, I probably tightened the cable way too much, actually induced a little reflex in the bow, and was re-tillering when it broke. Not sure what I did wrong or it may have been tillering issues before I even backed it with the cable. I would like to try and make another. Keep us posted if you work on another, I will too.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 10:04:41 am »
Here's a pic of a cable backed bow I did several years ago. A short hickory bow with 6 strands of artificial sinew as I recall. It shot well, the cable added a few pounds, Hickory is not the wood that needs cable backing though; I was just experimenting. I think a lot of the Innuit bows were made from birch or aspen, something not as tension strong as hickory.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:29:57 pm »
I think I'd try to build at least one bow that doesn't break before I tried exotic, high skilled bows.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chrisdaggs

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 03:54:44 pm »
I have made three bows that did not break they all shoot very well. I am trying new things and looking for  advice on the subject.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 04:26:36 pm »
Sorry, I read your other post and thought they were all blowing up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?