Author Topic: Type of Glue for Rawhide backing  (Read 7788 times)

Offline BraveKnight

Type of Glue for Rawhide backing
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »
Hello All,

Question,  I was reading on a site that using tb3 glue to glue on rawhide really did not improve the bow.  And the same thing was noticed with sinue.  They used hide glue with the sinue and it greatly improved the backing. 

When gluing on rawhide should you use tb3 hide glue or what type of glue.  I would like to help improve the bows performance as well.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Type of Glue for Rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:05 pm »
I made one bow with a rawhide baking I used tite bond 2
I like osage

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:26:42 am »
Rawhide is not sinew.

Sinew is not rawhide.

What applies to one does not always directly apply to the other.  For example, using Titebond with sinew really does not allow the sinew to fully shrink and pre-stress the bow back.  Hide glue will allow that.  Hide glue and sinew will together (generally speaking) improve a bow's performance.

Rawhide does not change the performance of a bow to any measurable degree.  Feel free to use Tightbond I, II, or III with rawhide.  Or use hide glue.  Or use 2 part epoxy if that is something you feel comfortable with. 

I prefer the faster tacking quality of TB for rawhide backing over the slipperyness of hide glue. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:24:19 pm »
I use TB3 with rawhide.  I do not ever use the bottled hide glue, as I do  not think it is a good substitute for the real stuff.  When I use hide glue (not for raw hide), I use knox.   

Russ   

Offline BraveKnight

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:30:35 pm »
I actually found a copy of the traditional bowyer's bible vol 1, and they advised for rawhide and sinue hide glue is the best glues to use.  Cannot remember why and I do not have a copy with me but that is what I have found.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:42 pm »
TB2 or 3 for me. I'm not interested in the rawhide coming off if it gets a little bit moist if glued with hide glue. Rawhide doesn't add performance anyway... it just prevents the back from lifting splinters.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:05:49 am »
I have used all of the  TB glues and hide glue for rawhide backings. All work well and it depends on the application as to what I use. Generally I use TBIII for rawhide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:25:10 pm »
I used TB 2 with rawhide and it worked really well. Also wrapped the rawhide with an ace bandage for 24 hours. It worked really well! But that was my first attempt. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!