Author Topic: supertiller?  (Read 6823 times)

Offline AH

supertiller?
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:25:16 pm »
So, I keep hearing about this computer program called "supertiller". Apparently, people use it to simulate bows and calculate draw weights from dimensions and draw weights at non-full-draw legnths. Does anyone have experience with it, and know where I can download it?
Also, is it really that accurate?  ??? I sort of have my doubts.

Offline Weylin

Re: supertiller?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:44:58 pm »
 ??? ::) I'll pass

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:50:09 pm »
Buzz kill.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:02 pm »
Duh............... ???
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:57:11 pm »
I have an exel spreadsheet that kind of does that although I don't think it is the super tiller program. It's extremely difficult to use although I know the creator has made some excellent bows with it. If you're familiar with the red oak bow that demonstrates trapping in TBBV4, that is his bow, David Dewey.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 02:04:01 am »
seems like a lot of work when you can just go make a bow with out all that technical stuff
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 02:06:55 am »
There are no shortcuts.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:04:12 am »
  WOOD IS WOOD
 You can't build a bow by dimemsions.
 SLOW DOWN ONLY YOU ARE PUTTING A TIME LIMIT ON FINICHING
 YOU'LL BUILD BETTER BOWS

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 10:10:25 am »
Nothing beats a good pair of hands and eyes to match ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:29:14 am »
Wood is too inconsistant to be able to predict tiller with a computer program. You can guestimate pounds per inch of draw with wood bows but it is only a guess. If you are working with a FG lam bow you have to predict closely what the lam stack will eventually result in especially if you are manufacturing production bows and even custom bows.
 I got into "primitive" archery to get as far away from all that as I could. I use my eyes to determine tiller. In some instances I will use a Gizmo to help with difficult to read tiller and I use a scale to determine weight(lots of you guys know how well my scale works  ::) ) but other than that I want to do it all myself. That is the challenge for me as a wood bowyer. I want to get as far away from the "FG mentality" as I can when it comes to my bow building.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 11:44:12 am »
I am working on this fully autonomous computer guided CNC maching three-dimensional wood printer that can design, build, tiller perfectly, and even shoot a wood bow!   No sweat, tears, or blood required!     ;D ;D  OK, that was a bit much.  I agree with what has been said.  I don't even understand why some people ask for dimensions on other bows, it just doesn't fit into the way I build them.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 11:54:17 am »
The only way a computer program could accurately predict how a bow will turn out is if it has a built in variable or function that takes into account the quality of the wood. For instance you could develop a standardized test such as the bending test where you take a standard size piece of the log or board that you have, apply known forces and measure the deflection until failure.

From that test you could get a variable or set of variables that could reasonably define the "quality" of the wood specimen. If you then incorporated that into the program it would be more accurate, but it still wouldn't account for the specific grain pattern throughout both limbs.

My guess is that in order for a computer program to have all the necessary variables you would need to spend so much time testing and gathering data about the wood you have that you could have built a bow in that time.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 12:07:11 pm »
Right there with you Carson.  I keep seeing the same question from guys about limb thickness.  I still believe that that is question designed to short-cut the process.  Tell me how wide long and thick to make it and I will cut it to those dimensions and presto!  I used to think primitive bow making was an old guys thing, simply because it required patience and insight and experience to really be any good at it (things that most young people have in limited quantities to some degree).  That's not true.  Look at all the really young guys building knock-out bows, so it's for any and all who can appreciate it.  For me, a big part of the enjoyment is the element of surprise with every build.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »
    I htink " super tiller" is designed more for those with an interest in flight bows or otherwise high performance bows. They can build a virtual bow on the computer and make changes to it in an attempt to narrow down a specific design. I think when it comes time to actually build the bow they use the same tecniques we do. I saw a red oak board bow that Dave Dewey built according to his predictions on super tiller and it came out within a few pounds of his projection. I believe it is more of a toy for engineer types. A bit over my head but I find it interesting. As from what I have seen a handbuilt bow will outperform a computer generated bow because of the alowances the computer makes for stress. I think exploring design elements would be its main usefulness.

Offline AH

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 01:27:41 pm »
Thanks, guys. I thought so.
The thread that I heard of "supertiller" on was some thread discussing the draw weights of the war bows on the Mary Rose...and we all know how finicky that subject is. ::)
I thought from the beginning, "No way this program this program is accurate". because there's always a ton of other factors that a computer can't count for, like wood density, knots, stuff like that.
I very much doubt you could build a character bow, put it's dimensions in the program, and have the same result as the computer would calculate! ;)