Author Topic: Straightish dryish Hazel  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Caveman_Sam

Straightish dryish Hazel
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:42 pm »
Ive got an aprox 3" diameter trunk of Hazel that I cut down just over 2 months ago I think.  Been in a warm room drying.

Just wondering where I start in turning this into a bow?  Can you make a bow out of a whole trunk (branch..?) and how does it having a pith effect it?  Do I try to hack it so that the belly is just under 1/2 so the pith is cut off and doesnt effect things?

Offline Joec123able

Re: Straightish dryish Hazel
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:29:27 pm »
I don't think the pith will effect anything. You could rough the bow out now and let it finish drying faster that way
I like osage

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:50:41 am »
I don't think the pith will effect anything. You could rough the bow out now and let it finish drying faster that way

+1.   Resist the urge to bend(floor tiller) until it dries completely. You'll crush the belly and introduce permanent set.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:18:44 am »
You need to split it, take the bark off and then reduce it to a stiff floor tiller then leave it for another month.
Hazel makes great bows b ut you have to be careful of the pin knots. If you don't leave it wider at the knots it WILL chyrsal. I love hazel trees - great bows, great arrows and great nuts!

Offline Caveman_Sam

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:50:18 am »
Ive got a pretty ugly bark gash.. will post pics shortly (or just chop it out while roughing)