Author Topic: basic Ohio style mocs(Wyandot/Shawnee/Delaware)  (Read 11619 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
basic Ohio style mocs(Wyandot/Shawnee/Delaware)
« on: May 22, 2013, 11:33:29 pm »
here's a recent pair of mocs I made in honoring my Wyandot ancestors of the Ohio era 1700-1800s
but these are from a commercial tanned elk hide("cheeto yellow") a hide my son in law gave me from one of his hunts.
and they are stitched with artificial sinew. I had to sand away some of the thickness to get the pucker to pucker!
you can see how the stitches are hidden to keep from wearing out. a "baseball stitch" on the instep and on the heel.
(Richard Zane Smith)
Sohahiyoh ,Bear Clan
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: basic Ohio style mocs(Wyandot/Shawnee/Delaware)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:34:53 pm »
Ugh, all you guys turning out such nice moccasins is making me really want to give this a try.  I'll focus on getting some skins first though. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline richardzane

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:44:21 pm »
the nice thing about this style moc, (rahshu' ) is that its one piece and once you get your pattern adjusted right
you can cut it out of cardboard and stash it some place handy till when a pair wears out.
Our cousin nation in Quebec , the Wendat use a vamp in their mocs, and traditionally on black buckskin.
they pulled their puckers amazingly tight as you can see.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:23:57 am »
Nice pair! I've made lots of hard soles and side seams, but I've never made this style. Yours came out great!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02:31 am »
Very nice pair & example of an eastern style of mocccasin.You bet about your patterns etc.They are really comfortable to wear for sure.I've put inserts of sheepskin inside too yet for a little more stability.You can sure feel the ground as you walk with those.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline richardzane

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:31:27 am »
thanks! ONE of these days I'll get around to beading ankle flaps and create a sew-on vamp.
Some were made so that when soles wore out, you could cut em loose
and transfer the quilled or beaded flaps and vamps onto a new pair. We went through LOTS of moccasins
hunting, fighting Brits or Americans....why waste a womans painstaking sewing of distinction and beauty?
maybe it was like carrying a pic of your sweetheart to battle to remind you why you were fighting. ;)

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:24:47 am »
Beautiful job!
They look very comfortable.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 08:54:01 pm »
Nice job on the mocs Richard. They are beautiful and look like they'd feel amazing on the feet!

Offline richardzane

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 10:42:38 pm »
thanks! they're pretty comfy, the thick elk hide adds a little extra padding to "shoe-spoiled" feet :)

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 11:20:54 pm »
Nice job!
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 11:40:06 pm »
The Wendat mocs you posted sure are exquisite. Not sure what I am looking at. Quills or moose haired embroidery? The might logically be moose skin too, right? They are truly lovely to look at. What incredible work.  :D
Thx for posting these.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 09:38:55 am »
thanks Paulette,
thats a good question ...about these i'm not sure if its fine quill or moose hair embroidery or a combination?
I saw some amazing pieces when in Quebec visiting our Wendat cousins (formally called the Huron of Lorette)
saw a deerskin long coat made in the style of european fashion in the 1800s and it had these amazing leaf designs on it.
The moose hair being hollow and also shading from dark to light, acts just like tiny quills. when its dyed you get this amazing "shaded" 3D look.
As far as I know the Wendat don't do the same kind of tight embroidery anymore,
but they do make a "rosette" from moose hair that they add to moccasins.

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 12:12:52 pm »
very nice, very traditional, I think a build along is in order?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
Those are nice!!! I'd also like to see a build along and see your pattern. I have some elk hide and buffalo hide that I'd like to use for a couple pair.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 02:06:49 am »
Nice! The mocs here have hard-soles made from rawhide and the soles are white. The soles are hard to turn cactus needles and sharp rocks. Some call them Kaibab moccasins but a Navajo moccasin maker assured me this was a trade name and not what they really called them.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...