Author Topic: fletching bites hand  (Read 7469 times)

Offline swamp monkey

fletching bites hand
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:46:43 am »
I shoot longbow.  I have an arrow with a feather that cuts my hand where the arrow passes.  It looks like each feather is seated well.  Feathers were cut with a chopper and it looks like that leading edge is little rough but not much.  Should I sand that quill on the shaft, take the feathers off and sand, or use thread to wrap over that?  Any one out there deal with this successfully?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fletching bites hand
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
I put a thread wrap on the front end of the fletching of every arrow I make. This has helped considerably. I also started using a floppy rest on my bows and that small piece of leather has really helped to protect my hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:02:27 am »
I wrap mine they don't cut in to my hand then.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:05:02 am »
When I glue down my feathers I will take a sharp knife and trim the front edge to make sure the quill has a smooth transition to the shaft. Then I will take a small dab of glue and cover the point of the quill. When this dries it creates a small bubble that is smooth and won't catch your skin. Thread wraps are another good fix for this, but the glue trick has become a quick easy fix to save my hands.

Offline Brock

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 12:04:49 pm »
you can cut down the leading edge some....add a dab of glue on the leading edge to keep it from catching on your hand or anything else while also securing it more....and you can get or make a bowhand leather shooting glove that is made specifically.  I really only see them in warbow shoots but really a partial glove with the leather covering thumb, forefinger and web area of bow hand.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 01:54:56 pm »
you guys are awesome!  thanks for the tips.  I have a weekend to play with this.  I am stoked.

Enjoy your weekend!

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 05:24:55 pm »
I wrap the front of mine with thread, also try raising your nocking point just a hair
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 06:27:16 pm »
I wrap the front of mine with thread, also try raising your nocking point just a hair

+1

A slightly higher nocking point will take care of it...

Jon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 09:14:00 pm »
Along with all those other great ideas, when you are getting ready to glue on the fletchings take a little time and sand the front of the fletching down from underneath.  That helps make a very gradual transition from shaft to fletching.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 03:03:32 pm »
  Back when I shot off my nuckle I used a leather grove. I just saw yesterday on my new 3 river catalog on the second page. Called a HAWKWOOD BOW GLOVE. VELCRO AROUND WRIST GO'S OVER HALF FIRST FINGER AND THUMB LEATHER NUCKLE COVER. Never owned one But looks really good. Gets cold here a glove work the same. Check it out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline BillBow

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 01:50:43 pm »
I am just finishing a set of arrows that will not bite, I have set the leading edge of each fletching down into the shaft ( about 0.5 mm tapering to zero at 70mm) and they are Real Smoothies.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
I put a thread wrap on the front end of the fletching of every arrow I make. This has helped considerably. I also started using a floppy rest on my bows and that small piece of leather has really helped to protect my hand.

I do the exact same thing as the great bearded one  ;)  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 10:37:08 pm »
I strip my feathers , there is no quill to bite ya, just a thin skin glued to the shaft, It works for me an seems to hold up just as good as a quill, an it's alot faster than grinding. Bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 10:16:33 am »
I trim mine and then take a round screw driver and roll it,down flat,then a dob of glue or like others said thread wrap it,or both,can't stand that bite. :o
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 12:11:08 pm »
I sand the edges down and wrap it with some thin string (I use separated hemp cord from wally world).  They are very attractive and don't cut the hand.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...