Author Topic: 11th Tennesse Classic.  (Read 391418 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 11th Tennesse Classic.
« Reply #285 on: February 08, 2008, 07:07:58 am »
Tiller I may try to find you something this weekend.I have a piece in mind. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #286 on: February 08, 2008, 04:59:23 pm »
Thanks Pappy! Uhm, this isnt going to turn out to be the snakiest peice you have laying about is it?  ;D  If so I'm going to need a lot of tutoring!  :o

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Minuteman

« Reply #287 on: February 09, 2008, 05:30:38 pm »
Pappy's the man for that job, David.
 You may have seen some of his snakeys here on PA but wait til you get to run your hands over 'em. They are something else lemme tell ya. :o He's a fine ,fine host as well.
 Only 82 days if my heads workin right!
 Can't wait!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #288 on: February 09, 2008, 05:58:32 pm »
81 now and counting!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

CastIron

« Reply #289 on: February 10, 2008, 01:15:48 am »
81 for you guys...... but we don't have to count the weekends  >:D   Pappy and myself shot the practice range today not sure who won we forgot to keep score :) :)
"nothing like a good piece of Hickory"   

Oh ya........ GregB Chickened out on the shoot and the venison roast for supper also  :o  I think Pappy will have more on this latter in the Life is good thread!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2008, 07:28:24 am »
Yes I do,It felt good to get on the range again.I think Grant won but that is nothing new.  :)
We are coming along it getting things togeather so we should be ready.Lots to do.Tiller
your piece won't be to snaky but a good piece never the less. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #291 on: February 11, 2008, 03:19:47 pm »
We got some large hickory log splits that I think we'll have to split off the belly wedge from them to handle them well. Tried that on one Saturday, then tried splitting it with wedges down to narrower staves (trying for three). Had one split out the side right off the bat (potential kids bow). I think next time we'll try popping a line and having someone on either side of the bandsaw. We should be able to salvage more staves from a 1/4 log split that way. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

CastIron

« Reply #292 on: February 11, 2008, 03:43:53 pm »
Greg,
You should have shot so we could have had Osage vs Hickory vs Hophornbeam as it was we proved that Osage and Hickory out preformed plywood as we had one widow in the group  ;D    But I think he had some new arrows he was trying out  ;)  ;D  ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #293 on: February 11, 2008, 05:36:17 pm »
That did it! I'm buying hickory boards from my pusher (local hardwood store) from now on to build bows out of! I've been laminating hickory to other woods as a backing and have had mediocre luck getting them shooting well. Now straight hickory might be my saviour! Pluss, its abundant at the hardwood store nearby in nice sizes. How does it work when sinew backed for short bows? Also, is it the white wood or the dark heartwood that makes the best bows out of Hickory?  ???

Just wish they had Ossage in board form or any other form arround here. Bummer I cant get out into the woods to harvest some Vine Maple and Yew.  >:(

Thanks again Pappy! You are living my dream with all the bow building and hunting and cooking!!!  ;D  Starting to make the Honey Mead tonight but it may not be done in time to bring it out to the Classic.  >:( Oh well! Next year!!!

David T

CastIron

« Reply #294 on: February 11, 2008, 06:17:12 pm »
David,
Hickory is the WHITE wood bows should be made from but don't tell Pappy or GregB that,... they still think that Osage is best and their shooting ability is the reason why they can't beat me on the practice  range  ;D ;D ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #295 on: February 11, 2008, 06:44:41 pm »
Hmmm! This sounds like one of those long running and often argued topics between all of you down there! Cant wait to join ya guys arround the fire pit. You'll just love it when I come up with my favorite WHITE wood is VINE MAPLE!!!!  >:D

CastIron

« Reply #296 on: February 11, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »
I have seen a article or two on vine maple all say it is excellent bow wood but I don't think we have it here I could be wrong on that but I haven't seen anybody working it down here.
Is it straight wood or twisty? 

Because Pappy and me are about as opposite there as you can get,.. I like long straight lines and clean grain...Pappy on the other hand might cut up a good straight stave for fire wood since it was scrap anyway! for sure the last 4 or 5 inches of a good 73" or 74" log. He likes his bows to look like a Mississippi road map  ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #297 on: February 11, 2008, 07:24:18 pm »
Most Vine Maple is snakey stuff and its very rare that you find a straight stave with no snake in it. Thats why I like steam boxes! Takes the slither right out of a snakey piece if Vine Maple!

Guys! Should I rent a car at the airport and drive out to the place? I think I can get in there on Monday evening. Would Sunday be better?

David T

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #298 on: February 11, 2008, 11:06:35 pm »
  Grant, Pappy ought to have a nice recurved vine maple stave I sent him.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2008, 06:43:35 am »
I got it mullet .just haven't tackled it yet,its in my mind tho.Had so many other projects going just wanted to have the time to do it justice.Tiller what ever you want to do.we can probably get someone to pick you up at the air port.When are you headed back?That would be the problem
Sunday,we are all really busy Fri. Sat. and especially Sunday. :)Come when ever you can.I am there all week. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good