Author Topic: 11th Tennesse Classic.  (Read 392991 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: 11th Tennesse Classic.
« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2008, 09:15:50 am »
but don't tell Pappy or GregB that,... they still think that Osage is best and their shooting ability is the reason why they can't beat me on the practice  range

We're just waiting for when Grant sticks one of those nocks in his eye and has to switch to left-handed shooting. We'll be able to take him on the practice range then...at least for a while. ;D The only reason he likes hickory so much is that it's nice and straight and long and his bows can be used as spears when he runs out of arrows...or for poling across a creek...or for added leverage to pry his stuck truck out of a ditch... you get the picture... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:40 pm »
I got it mullet .just haven't tackled it yet,its in my mind tho.Had so many other projects going just wanted to have the time to do it justice.Tiller what ever you want to do.we can probably get someone to pick you up at the air port.When are you headed back?That would be the problem
Sunday,we are all really busy Fri. Sat. and especially Sunday. :)Come when ever you can.I am there all week. :)
   Pappy

Thanks Pappy!

Looks like I can fly in on Sunday evening of April the 27th around 6:45 pm and I fly out Monday on May the 4th in the morinning. One thing I am not looking forward to is being cooped up like a sardine in a can for arround 9 hours! Looks like there is no way I can avoid Chicago as a layover and switch planes at O'hare. Been in that airport a couple times and its a zoo! Also, gives me a chance to take the shop on Saturday and give my buisness partner a day off before I leave for the week.  Can't wait to meet you all!

Pappy, think I can make a recurve bow from that peice of osage pulling arround 70#?  Never done a recurve yet and think it would be great for hunting. Something  about those high draw weights! Just gots to love em. Speed and power! Reminds me of Tool Time Argh! Argh! Argh!  ;D

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2008, 06:42:08 am »
Great,I don't know about the recurve,If Ryan is there then maybe,I haven't had much luck with them myself.You can make a flat bow of that weight if you like and flip the tips.I can help on that.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2008, 03:03:15 pm »
Pappy, think I can make a recurve bow from that peice of osage pulling arround 70#?

David, we do have a couple of forms and the ability to steam for doing a recurve. Hopefully Ryan and Sawfiler will be on hand to give some support if you want to do a recurve. That is pretty high weight you're after though...? I've already got a recurve roughed in and the limbs curved ready to start tillering. I'm probably going to see if I can get some help on it during the Classic from one of the experts... ;)

If you want to go that route, I would try and get the bow roughed in and the tips aligned as much as possible...propellor removed, etc. Or we can do that during the Classic, just time consuming.
Greg

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »
Thanks Greg! I already shoot a 65# ELB at 31" draw length, I built myself so I think this will be just the next step up in weight for me. Though, I have not been shooting much due to buisness and home life taking up all my time. So I may be a bit out of shape drawing in that range.

I will definatly be needing lots of help doing some recurve work! I think it should add some power to the cast. I may go for a lighter weight though if you all think it might be better. I will be arriving on Sunday evenning so I hope a week of straight work on the bow will give me time to recurve it. If you guys think I should be more conservative with my building please let me know. Would 55# to 60# range be more conservative? How about design? Have always wanted to do a stiff handled pyramid style bow and flip the tips or recurve with a draw length of arround 27". Pappy, whats the difference between recurving and flipping the tips? I thought that was the same thing.  God there is so much to learn about bow building! I've built arround 6 bows so far with only one nice one. None of them really spectacular yet. I keep hoping and trying!  ;D

I'm starting to rethink the type of bows to build these days also. I am going more away from ELB's to short indian style bow and hunting bows for both target shooting and hopefully some hunting in the future.  Never can seem to get away from my buisness! (Grumble, Gumble!!!)  >:( I think I need to get out a bit!  ;D

Hmm! Thinking of buying a resperator mask for the flight. One of them millitary chem/bio type so I dont get sick on the flight out.  Think I could get throug security carying on of those in my cary-on luggage?  :o

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2008, 07:21:06 am »
31 inch draw,woo I may need to rethink the stave I have. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2008, 09:44:40 am »
David, I'm definitely not an expert on recurves...more like a novice. What comes to mind to me with that kind of weight is the large amount of stress on the limbs for a unbacked recurve. I would think you'd want to go with a longer then normal length recurve then we typically see displayed on PA...maybe 66" or so, and a working recurve instead of static. Your long draw length and the weight you're after I think would make it a real challenge for a unbacked recurve. Might consider sinew backing...?

I think what Pappy and I are referring to a recurve versus flipping the tips is the following:

A true recurve has a huge curvature in the limbs coming off a form prior to any tillering other then possibly some floor tillering. You can't really use a tillering board, but instead clamp it in a vise and with both hands on one limb tip flex the limbs watching them bend in between scrapping sessions. Try to get the bow to a low brace this way. Then go to the tillering tree as early as you possibly can, might have to tie the bow to the tree saddle to keep it from flipping over due to the limbs being so heavily curved up.

Flipping the tips for us has been tillering a flat bow to maybe around 22" or so if you're trying for around 27". Your last 6-8" or so of the limbs are left heavy, then using dry heat we put a recurve into the tips and then finish tillering. This is much easier to do in my opinion then starting with the heavily recurved limbs up front. From a performance standpoint, I would guess the true recurve should perform better then one with flipped tips, but more difficult to make. Especially with the weight and drawlength you're after.  ;)
Greg

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2008, 02:55:16 pm »
Dont worry guys! I'm not going for 31" draw length on this one. I only draw this length with the English Warbows I've been building. Also, I was just reminded by family members that I should be drawing lower weight bows because of a hernia. So, how about a flipped tip hunting weight bow? Maybe a Holmalgaard design?

My typical draw length is 27 or 28". So I think a bow drawing this length would be great for hunting and placing it in a weight range of 55-60# might be better off for me. I have to start remembering I'm no longer in my 20's anymore and working up to the 40's prety quick!  ;)

David T

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2008, 03:04:28 pm »
David, that's much more in line with the type bows we've been making...so shouldn't be a problem. I'm determined to one day make a one of those Ryan style recurves...but probably won't have time during the Classic. :)
Greg

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2008, 05:57:41 pm »
Yeah! With the bow building and all the socializing going on I started thinking it might be a bit ambitious too.  Though it sure would be fun.  I'm really starting to get an apreciation for the small Northwest sinew backed indian bows. Short and short draw length but really zippy and great for ambush hunting. One day I will make another of these! Last one was prety bad! :-\

So, what days are everybody arriving on and how will I recognize everyone? Maybe we should all wear name tags with real name and PA nicknames!  ::)

David T

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2008, 06:02:24 pm »
PS: Pappy should be easy to pick out from the crowd! All that great cooking we see on the "Life is Good" bulletin has me drooling like Pavlovs dog. Watch out Pappy people may see you and start drooling on sight!!!!  ;D

CastIron

« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2008, 06:43:05 pm »
PS: Pappy should be easy to pick out from the crowd! All that great cooking we see on the "Life is Good" bulletin has me drooling like Pavlovs dog. Watch out Pappy people may see you and start drooling on sight!!!!  ;D

"LOOK THAR ETHAL IT'S  PAPPY  I SEE'ED HIM IN THE P.A MAGAZINE HE MADED THE BOW OF THE YEAR  "OLE NAIL HOLE"  YOU JUST STAY RITE HERE WHIST I GO GET HIS AUTOGRAPH RITE QUICK"

Often herd Quote from arriving guest at the  2007 Tennessee Classic .........he might need a manager to keep the line straight this year  ;D ;D   >:D

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:47 pm »
Remember this.... You have to answere the question correctly in order to get the autograph.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2008, 08:32:52 pm »
Ooooh I LOVE that quesiton!  Papppy's DA MAN!  ;D
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2008, 09:42:25 pm »
What question Ridge? Is this like Monty Python? What is the average wing speed of a sparrow ;D
See who knows the answer ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI