Author Topic: Arrow woods  (Read 6092 times)

Metalking00

Arrow woods
« on: November 15, 2007, 10:05:02 pm »
Lately, I cant go anywhere without looking around for a good source of arrows. Around here, we don't have any of the plants that are commonly talked about for arrows, but I figured I should just look for long, straight and thin. A few plants showed up that look kinda promising, but I haven't tried any yet. One that looks to be good is oleander. It has long straight thin branches that look like they'd make great arrows. each oleander Ive seen looks like it has at least 50 near identical branches of the right size. The other is myrtle, after trimming, arrowlike branches get to about the right dimensions. Though myrtles tend to grow in peoples yards and the ones that aren't don't get trimmed much, so no suitable branches. Has anyone tried either of these? Would oleander be too soft to make a good arrow?

Ill give it a try and post the results.

Offline PeteC

Re: Arrow woods
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 10:14:18 pm »
What part of the country do you live in MK?
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:03:10 am »
One caution...Oleander is poisonous and I'm not sure if all parts or just some parts are. Any straight shoot woods should work. Even golden rod and dog fennel will make good arrows. You must live in a warm climate. If coastal, possibly one of the hollys(Ilex vomitoria or I. glabra) or cane, a viburnum, maple, dogwood, etc.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Metalking00

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:19:32 am »
Pete, I live in southern california. Not much nature to choose from here, mostly roads and houses.

Im aware of oleanders toxicity, but felt that after being dried and sealed, no appreciable amount of its poison would be transferred.
I tried making an arrow of texas privet today as it had some straight shoots up to 10 feet long, and the right diameter. Some shoots were even dry on the tree. The wood proved too weak and even a thick arrow was only suitable for maybe a 10 pound bow.

Tomorrow, Ill grab a few oleander shoots to dry and test. Ill also take a look around the olive trees for some suitable branches.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 10:30:47 pm »
Hi,  Southern CA should have lots of salt cedar.  Also known as tamarisk, it produces a lot of straight shoots and was a common arrow wood in the drier parts of asia.  Northern CA has a fair amount of witch Hazel.  You may be able to find it if you have access to moist, shady areas ( north facing slopes and canyon bottoms.)
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:27:50 am »
Whoops, That's tamarix, not tamerisk.  Anyway, it's an invasive introduction and should be fair game for harvesting.  Just look alongside highways and washes.  I haven't been down in Southern CA much, but I remember seeing it along the highways.  The few specimens I've noticed here in San Jose have been hacked back to shrups, but keep sending up shoots.   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 04:31:30 pm »
Stay away from Oleander!!!! All parts of the plant are extremly poisonous. You get some sap or residue on your hands touch a drink or something to eat and BINGO you just poisoned yourself! The results a can be deadly!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:01:55 pm »
I know that the Chumash and Pomo indians used reed for their arrows, so if you can find some of that, it works really well.  I remember when I was driving down I-5 from Oregon to San Francisco 4 years ago I kept seeing big, open areas with huge patches of reed/cane growing along the highway.  Some if it was really big, much too big for arrows.  I did stop, but the reed I examined was too large for arrows, so I didn't cut any.  But if you find smaller shoots, reed works great.  It's like bamboo, but with thinner walls.

Hell, just about anything straight will make arrows.  I don't know about Oleander since I live in GA, but the way everyone keeps talking about it, it sounds like bad news.  I've got an idea! You could cut some oleander, peel the bark and try eating it.  If you die, well, then I guess everyone would be right!!  Hahaha! (just kidding about eating the bark, of course) 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »
 If you get sap from the Oleander on your skin it will give you a mild rash,your flesh won't fall off or make you sick from contac.Just don't ingest it or use it for hot dog sticks.Burning and inhaling the vapor or sanding and being exposed to the dust will get you bad.Just don't get it real hot while straighting.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Metalking00

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 10:05:26 pm »
As an experiment, I went and bought some birch dowels. They're 3/8" and even these arent spined stiff enough for my bow. shot bareshaft from about 10 yards, they slap the target sideways.

What can I make arrows from for a 65-70# bow that wont end up being as thick as my thumb?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 04:34:51 am »
Hi,   I remember reading a article about using oleander as a bow wood.  That suggests that it should be plenty strong for arrows and that it can be safely worked.  I would certainly recommend gloves and avoid burning as the smoke can be toxic too.
Ron