Author Topic: ??? Kids Bows and Safety  (Read 5414 times)

Offline DanaM

??? Kids Bows and Safety
« on: November 16, 2007, 12:34:50 pm »
I made a 48" maple bow from a billet I had laying around. I've tillered it out to about 15 or 20# at 20"
This bow is for my niece shes 7 or 8, doubt if she will draw it more than 16 or 17"
My question is should a kids bow be backed with linen or something for safeties sake?

Any thoughts???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: ??? Kids Bows and Safety
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:37:29 pm »
It couldnt hurt Dana. Ive made several unbacked kids bows though too. Just make sure its bomb proof!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:45:27 pm »
If it has a good ring on the back I see no reason to back it.  If you tillered it to 20" and she draws to 16" you are safe.  Make sure you exercise it plenty before you give it to her.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:01:40 pm »
Thanks guys
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 03:03:08 pm »
................Back it with linen . Ya will feel better..........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 03:30:09 pm »
bob yer a mind reader  ;D I would be devasted if something happened, better safe than sorry eh.

Manistique, MI

Eric Garza

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 06:31:12 pm »
I'd back it with something, even a piece of cloth just to make sure it doesn't raise a splinter.  I'd just hate to give it to a child and have it break.  Even if they don't get hurt, they're probably not going to want to pick up another bow...

-Eric

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 10:24:15 pm »
Not to contradict any of you guys , but In my experience with kids bows I try to build it so it is a little bigger than what they need. That way it will not be overstressed. A backing will not hurt at all. Like you did though , you built it so it will not be overdrawn.Most of my kids bows have bbeen with Osage..A backing may actually give the bow more appeal to a youth.
Sorry just babbling .
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 08:41:39 am »
Thanks all, I'm going to build her a longer bow out of a maple board, linen backed.
I want her to be able to get a few years out of the bow so I will tiller it for a longer draw.
She can grow with the bow this way.

I think I will keep the little 48" maple bow I made for her, its 20# at 20" perfect for my office when I need to relieve some stress
or chase a salesman away ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 09:13:55 pm »
If it is a board bow, I would use a high quality backing on it.  You dont know how the wood was treated or if it was abused.  With a stave you can at least read the tree a little. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Slivershooter

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 01:39:34 pm »
I always back any kids bow with thin rawhide (antelope) the dye it the same color as the leather used for the handle wrap.  I do not over build the bows as that tends to make the child develop bad shooting habits.  The biggest threat to the bow will not be the child you build the bow for, it will be their friend or neighbor who is a couple of years older or a lot bigger, they have a tendency to overdraw the bow.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 07:36:11 pm »
Justin the board is from my brother-in-law, he cut the tree and sawed the boards, he has a wood mizer sawmill.
Silvershooter I would love to use rawhide but seeing as how I don't have any I will use 100% linen not the cheaper grade
I am confident it will hold, also will take yer advice on not overbuildingat leats not by much.

Manistique, MI

Brokestick

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 10:34:21 pm »
With maple I would probably back it to be on the safe side, though it probably doesn't need it.  I just posted a little hickory bow I made a while back, which I didn't back, but it's longer, and draws lighter.  I made it so all three of my boys could learn on it, and then it will end up with the 5 year old when I finish bows for the 8 and 11 year old boys.  My first bow attempt was a maple board bow, and it raised a big splinter off the back, even after I backed it with silk.