Author Topic: buckthorn question...  (Read 1975 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
buckthorn question...
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:51:37 am »
Stored 1/2 log with the bark on split into 1/4 today and the outer is black and the inner is orange... the question I have is it still good ...after I chase a ring it clears up...what to do :-\

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

blackhawk

Re: buckthorn question...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:19:38 am »
The orange is the cambium soyburger ;)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 08:35:06 am »
I did that too. I showered it in hot water for about 30 minutes and the bark softened up and came off with a little scraping and the back was real nice under the bark. The remaining cambium streaks turned black within about an hour after I did.
The orange is the cambium soyburger ;)
I didn't know you were a vegetarian.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:36 am »
What Blackhawk said. Get the orange off and your good to go. I've used a dull scraper on my buckthorn and sometimes have to follow up with a gentle sanding or even a soft brass BBQ brush to clean up the back.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:56:29 am »
I left bits and pieces of the pink/orange color on mine Soybert. I sanded it baby butt smooth and I dont see it peeling up anytime soon. It looked pretty cool.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:45:21 pm »
Soy, you must have some "old growth" buckthorn down in southern Minnesota. I can only find small straggly stuff up near the cities.

Are you planning on coming to the Coon Rapids shoot this weekend?
45# at 27"

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:16:35 pm »
I know the orange at the top of the pictures is the cambium butso is the black the orange at the bottom pic is the hearwood it had a very thin layer of sapwood....the black stuff was exposed to the air side the orange was the inner that I just split so I did not know if it changes black with age or if it was decay and if I'd be good scraping underneath of it ;)

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:46:50 pm »
I've had buckthorn sapwood turn grayish when the cambium above turns black from leaving the bark on too long, it must be oxidation. Don't know if that affects the wood though.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:03 pm »
Seriously, shower it a while and it comes right off. I don't think mine was quite so dry though.
Soy, you must have some "old growth" buckthorn down in southern Minnesota. I can only find small straggly stuff up near the cities.

Are you planning on coming to the Coon Rapids shoot this weekend?
I am in Lindstrom just north of MSP and there are some real nice old BT's right across the street.  Come on up if you want a few. Doob
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:53:48 pm by DuBois »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:00:53 pm »
I don't think the black/gray color sapwood compromises  the back. If I remove bark soon after cutting buckthorm the cambium is orange and scrapes off to whitish colored sapwood. If I season some with the bark on the cambium turns black and when removed reveals a sort of brown/gray sapwood back. I recently scored some bucthorn and removed bark and cambium on 6 staves and sealed backs with 3 coats of heavy shellac. 5 of those staves checked badly on the back and one survived. The past couple weeks I debarked and prepped 4 more staves after sitting for 2 months with the bark on. 3 of them had the black cambium and gray sap and 1 had orange cambium and white sapwood. These four survived without any of the bad checking. Go figure, I'm still not sure which method is best?

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:44 pm »
The grey is nothing to worry about. I've built them with all grey backs. just sand it smooth and you should be good to go.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 11:44:58 pm »
Thanks a bunch guys!!! How well does it bend w/heat???

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:25 am »
Doesn't bend as easy as osage in my opinion, seems it has to be heated and bent slowly. I've lifted splinters on the belly a couple times just trying to put in mild flipped tips or mild curves. I'm still experimenting with buckthorn, Cody's much more experirnced with the wood and
could give you a better informed opinion on bending I'm sure.