Author Topic: My first cane arrow  (Read 1640 times)

Offline stickshaper23

My first cane arrow
« on: June 16, 2013, 10:13:03 pm »
Ok so Stringman sent me a bunch of supplies to work on making arrows while I try to find my own materials here. So I have made my first cane arrow and figured I'd show you guys before I move on to the next. I know alot of guys make sets of 3 or 6 or a dozen most of the time. But being new to all of this I put all my effort into each one and test it before I move on. SO as of yet I have not made two identical arrows but all of my tweaking and changing on every arrow has made each one a good shooter. This one is no different it flies great and and  I am so happy with the look. I love the feathers. I had problems with the harder plastic hitting the top limb of my bow before and changing the course of the arrow. With the feathers it just slides right through it and is perfect. Thanks for looking and please give me any suggestions you have. By the way the arrow head was given to me by stringman as well.

Offline David_Daugherty

Re: My first cane arrow
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 01:01:50 am »
Hard to tell from the pic but looks like you have the fletching on the larger diameter end of the cane.  Am I seeing that correct?  Me and the guys i make arrows with always make the lager diameter end the point end of the arrow and the smaller diameter end the fltching end.  Thats what I was taught to do idk why really and not sure if one way is better.  Nice looking arrow though.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline stickshaper23

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:49:59 am »
Yeah sorry I couldve used a little better background but yeah i reversed the taper. When I made my first arrow I did it the same way and put it on here and I got quite a few of the same comments so I believe you are correct in that most people make them the way you do. I flipped it because I just like the flow of it and I like putting the weight in the rear when I put broadheads on, it balances it all out very well plus I like having the extra strength where the string is putting all its force. I have been told there are NA tribes who made arrows the way I do so I guess either way works.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:30:38 am »
Man that's great!! I can see the venison roasting already! You keep at it and your ideas will change a dozen times before you settle on anything. Just keep on building.

If you go with the duplex nails like we talked about you are gonna want the big end forward. Otherwise your cane won't be big enough to fit the nails in. Play around with and see what works to ya. That one looks great, but I hate seeing arrows alone!

Offline bhenders

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 11:04:47 am »
From that picture it looks like you will have a leaf node against the bow.  That is the weak side of the cane.  You should always nock the arrow so that the last node faces up (or down) instead of against the bow.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 11:11:16 am »
Nice looking arrow 23.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,