Author Topic: Wyoming rock?  (Read 6655 times)

Offline JEB

Wyoming rock?
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:30:27 am »
Any knapping rock in Wyoming?  If so what kind and what area would someone look for some.?  Couple of hunters heading out for a hunt in the fall and would like to bring some home for their kids to work on .  Thanks

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Wyoming rock?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:38:41 am »
Lots of knappable rock here depending on where in Wyoming they plan to hunt.  Mostly jaspers and agates.  Let me know and maybe I can give them some ideas!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:01:48 am »
Thanks Wolf.  They are going to the north central area of Wyoming about 15 miles south of Montana.

PM sent.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:05:30 am »
Name some towns?  Sounds like some of the very best possible jasper opportunities. Joe

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:42:55 am »
Lots of chert in the Bighorns. You should be able to find info via google.

Patrick

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 12:14:26 pm »
Jeb, I have a page bookmarked that lists all the flint types by state. This is what it has on Wyoming. Unfortunately they don't list what parts of the state they occur in, but there is a lot of good rock up there.

Wyoming: Absaroka Chert, Dendritic Chert, Hartville Chert, Madison Banded Chert, Miongin Coble Chert, Opalized Wood, Spanish Diggings Quartzite, Spanish Diggings Agate, Spanish Diggings Red Breccia, Spanish Diggings Chert, Spanish Diggings Dendritic Jasper, Spanish Point Dendritic Agate, Tiff, Tiger Chert, Tosi Chert, Wapsipsicon Chert, Wyoming Oil Chert.

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:24:07 am »
For those helping with some rock location, the main hub is Burgess Junction where 14 and 14A intersect.  Thanks again for all your help.
Jon

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 01:02:33 pm »
JEB: That area is one of the very best for jasper!  There even has been a jasper mine out of Shell.  Light brown is the dominate color and I really love it for hunting points and knives.  Just north of there in Montana is the home of "Moss Agate"  that has been the jewelry stone for many years.  It makes great points and needs a little cooking.  There are other knappable materials, but those are my favorites.  Any rock shop across the Dakotas, Sundance, Sheridan, etc. will have some for sale! What are these fellows going to hunt?  Joe

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:50 pm »
Thanks to everyone that gave me info.

Wolf, they are hunting mule deer with bows.  Not sure if its a self hunt or guided.  Know the two guys that are going it will be a self hunt.