Author Topic: trade for a spool of B50  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

trade for a spool of B50
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
I would like to trade something for a spool of B50.
I need some decent strings for my bows...
I have an ash stave I would be willing to trade for a big spool of B50.
I also have some other assorted stuff- feathers, shafting...
Thanks
Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: trade for a spool of B50
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:59:56 pm »
What type of shafting?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:06:20 pm »
You know a spool is like $10 from three rivers right?  You would spend almost that in shipping cane
Aim Small...Hit Small

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:13:40 pm »
You know a spool is like $10 from three rivers right?  You would spend almost that in shipping cane
Shipping cane is $ 4.
My parents don't let me buy stuff online.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:49:52 pm »
 What type? What condition? Im quite sure I have yellow, red and black B-Stretchy in the shop.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:54 pm »
I think its river cane, about half-seasoned. Cut to 35" or so...
Its good stuff, and pretty light too. Recall my longbow arrows thread? those are made from it.
B-stretchy?
What?
I don't want stretchy stuff for a longbow string!!!

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:49:44 pm »
I think that's Pearly's way of showing disdain for B-50. Once you start using something like fast Flight you will understand how stretchy B-50 is.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 10:55:42 pm »
I hang my B50 strings from the ceiling  with a full 5 gallon bucket of water for 24 hours and don't seem to have much of a problem with stretch but I do prefer some of my low stretch strings.

12 strands or even 10 with my 40-50# bows seems to work quite well and I have an abundance of B50.

Nothing wrong with B50 although there seems to be a preference today for the low stretch strings.

Do you want all one color or would you prefer a mixture of various colors. I can cut off however many feet you want from different color spools.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:29:07 am »
I like B50. I know it stretches.
how many feet would it take to make a 70" string? Maybe that times 4 in 4 colors- black, purple, green, and blue. That way I can make 16 strings.
Does a dozen shafts sound good?
If not I can send more, or add other stuff.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »
I don't have blue and haven't seen purple. Give me some specs on the shafts, diameter, spine, and weight range. My only experience with river cane was some that was too large diameter inside and out for my taste.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 04:04:21 pm »
Oh... I do have an ash stave too, plus some other stuff...

I need to replace the strings on a half-dozen bows, plus I need a good tillering string, plus I need 4 more strings for the bows I am working on. That's why I would prefer a spool of material to make strings from ;)

The shafts are near or below 3/8 diameter. They shoot fine off of a #61 longbow:) with 100g points. I don't have a shaft spiner- I just shoot them and see what the heck happens. if they go too far off to the left, I don't keep them for that bow. if they break... I obviously don't keep them.
They aren't super heavy, but not super light either. Thin walled 'cane.
 I really don't care that much about the color of my bowstrings... I just like having 2 color strings... (having 2 colors helps me tell how much its twisted up)