Author Topic: you know your a bow maker when...  (Read 5569 times)

Offline BowSlayer

you know your a bow maker when...
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »
i have recently realised i have an OBSESION with bows, im down the club 3-4 nights a week and  i can't look at a tree without thinking about turning it into some kind of bow. what makes you a bow maker?

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

Re: you know your a bow maker when...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »
I'm like that too ever single tree I look at I just think to myself, hmmmm I wonder if I can make a bow outta tht lol
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:33:00 pm »
Making successful bows makes you a bow maker.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:12 pm »
I've never been one for titles, but you can tell you're hooked on archery when you're driving down the road looking at all the trees and such and thinking "now that looks like a good stave right there, if only i had my chainsaw..."    :P :P :P :P
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 02:22:56 pm »
I've only made one bow that shoots.  I'm no bow maker. I've got material for several atlalts now though. i.e. the limbs of bow shaped wood. Maybe I'll be an atlatl maker.  ::)

How's that bow for your sweety comin? I lost track of that post, was hoping this post was about that.

(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:42:45 pm »
I've never been one for titles, but you can tell you're hooked on archery when you're driving down the road looking at all the trees and such and thinking "now that looks like a good stave right there, if only i had my chainsaw..."    :P :P :P :P

I carry an axe in my truck.... early morning, nobody around. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 03:46:04 pm »
Bowtarist ,does that mean your an "Atlatler"   8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 04:06:00 pm »
How's that bow for your sweety comin? I lost track of that post, was hoping this post was about that.

not goin very well,  :-[ first bow broke so im going to need to find some bow wood ASAP, turns out shes heading to south america (not sure what part) for her birthday so i did a painting of her and gave it to her early (she loved it BTW)

but im still going to make her a bow as she is really keen on doing archery. :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »
very picasso
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 05:40:06 pm »
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Jacko

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 05:50:45 pm »
I've got to the point where I cant go anywhere and not find myself looking for something to recycle into my next Archery related Project.

Twice in recent months I have dragged Leather Sofa's from a work related Furniture Retailer Customers Industrial Rubbish Bin and cut every scrap of useable Leather from it.

If I visit a Mate who may have just put down a Timber Floor or a new Deck, I will walk around and point out every Board with good enough grain structure for a Selfbow.

Again with work I keep an eye out as I drive around my Customers for old Pallets that might have a few Boards I can make Arrows, Knife Handles etc from. I am keeping an eye out for some of that high tensile Metal Strapping so I can make Broadheads from it. Still while driving around for Work I have picked up tools that have bounced out of a Tradesmans Ute and made Knives from them or incorporated them into my Hunting / Camping Gear

If an upcoming Hunt is on my Mind [ when isn't it ] I have been seen by my workmates visualising and going through the motions of Shooting my Bow, from drawing the Arrow to follow through

I don't have a Problem , everyone else does  :P  ;D

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 06:19:19 pm »
I've got to the point where I cant go anywhere and not find myself looking for something to recycle into my next Archery related Project.

Twice in recent months I have dragged Leather Sofa's from a work related Furniture Retailer Customers Industrial Rubbish Bin and cut every scrap of useable Leather from it.

If I visit a Mate who may have just put down a Timber Floor or a new Deck, I will walk around and point out every Board with good enough grain structure for a Selfbow.

Again with work I keep an eye out as I drive around my Customers for old Pallets that might have a few Boards I can make Arrows, Knife Handles etc from. I am keeping an eye out for some of that high tensile Metal Strapping so I can make Broadheads from it. Still while driving around for Work I have picked up tools that have bounced out of a Tradesmans Ute and made Knives from them or incorporated them into my Hunting / Camping Gear

If an upcoming Hunt is on my Mind [ when isn't it ] I have been seen by my workmates visualising and going through the motions of Shooting my Bow, from drawing the Arrow to follow through

I don't have a Problem , everyone else does  :P  ;D

regards Jacko

wow, i know what you mean with the floor boards but i havn't seen any long enough for a bow, or even billits. but i scan for bow wood everywhere.

also can i use this as a quote?

"I don't have a Problem , everyone else does  :P  ;D"

thanks

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:03:14 am »
Bowtarist ,does that mean your an "Atlatler"   8)

I  like to throw an atlatl if that's what your askin. You?
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 12:03:32 pm »
  I've found with time this has curve a little with with me (A LITTLE)  but I still do this with a crooked OSAGE. I'll find myself circling or just standing looking at it. It must be the curves of a snakey bow thats but the hooks in me. I use to cut none stop now for the most part I just store the wood in a place in the back of my short mine. But for some reason I can't do this with arrow woods. I cut and store cut and store. Like they'll be gone when I go back in the winter.
   If you hav'nt gone as far as carrying a fold saw in your pack and the chain saw in your trucks tool box like me then. I'll pray for you but I'm sure it's to late.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 12:08:00 pm »
  After 22 years I still don't think of myself as a bowyer I just like wood, wood chips and dust on the floor. The enjoyment of finishing a bow and all things that go along with it.
  If your a bowyer you do it as a job then the enjoyments gone out of the whole process. Been there done that it sucks.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING