Author Topic: Do tropical trees have growth rings?  (Read 5943 times)

Offline Marks

Do tropical trees have growth rings?
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:11:22 pm »
May be a stupid question and if it is then feel free to let me know. If the rings in a tree form from the alternating seasons then does a tree growing on the equator have them?

Offline Stoker

Re: Do tropical trees have growth rings?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »
I'll start the fun.. >:D Yes.. Although may not be as pronounsed as what we in the northern areas see.. The purpleheart and ipe I've seen does have rings, palm wood didn't have seperate rings.. All areas do go though wet and dry seasons quicking and slowing of growth.. Allitude would also play a factor..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »
I thought Palm was like 'boo and grasses???- it comes out of the ground and is the same diam a hundred years later???
It just hardens over time I thought???
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:12 am »
I thought Palm was like 'boo and grasses???- it comes out of the ground and is the same diam a hundred years later???

Really ? If that's true then it is very interesting
I like osage

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:14 pm »

Really ? If that's true then it is very interesting
Hey I dunno. Its just what I was told by someone. I have never actually cut down a palm tree... I don't think palm lives 100 yrs, does it?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:45:15 pm »
palm if you cut it shows dots instead of rings, more dense to the outside of the palm, I've got some petrified palm slabs i'm gonna try and knap cool looking stuff
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:47:51 pm »
palm if you cut it shows dots instead of rings, more dense to the outside of the palm, I've got some petrified palm slabs i'm gonna try and knap cool looking stuff
Cool. So has anyone determined if it grows in diameter over time? I thought it just got stronger and taller?

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:14:24 am »
palm has the corn/grass type of fiber they can have a bigger trunk on the top. have several in the yard.The outside of the royal and black palms have a hard outside layer.The cabbage palm has a tasty heart
Venice Florida

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 11:39:09 am »
Here we go...
palm trees increase their trunk diameter due to division and enlargement of parenchyma cells, which is termed diffuse secondary growth

Can someone explain this better?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »
Palm tree sap is more like a jelly, the "wood" are more like fibers they dont really grow "rings so  much as expand, its harder to explain than i thought it would be, think,, expansion more like a balloon , from the inside out.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:23:34 pm »
Palm tree sap is more like a jelly, the "wood" are more like fibers they dont really grow "rings so  much as expand, its harder to explain than i thought it would be, think,, expansion more like a balloon , from the inside out.
Kind of like me. I don't have growth rings yet I keep getting bigger???

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 02:24:48 pm »
hahaha yea! Some things get bigger by depositing a layer of lipids under a layer of skin ;)

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 02:25:26 pm »
I'll start the fun.. >:D Yes.. Although may not be as pronounsed as what we in the northern areas see.. The purpleheart and ipe I've seen does have rings, palm wood didn't have seperate rings.. All areas do go though wet and dry seasons quicking and slowing of growth.. Allitude would also play a factor..
Thanks Leroy

All in all I kind of figured they did but I guess your explanation of why is more what I was looking for. thanks.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:48:44 pm »
Well ya know hardwoods aint palms,,so i was just saying what i knew..lol..so if its a hardwood ,, yeah it has rings, but goes more with wet and dry seasons rather than hot and cold seasons.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 07:42:13 pm »
for the record I don't think palms start out 2' dia. so yeah, they do get bigger
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹