Author Topic: Socketed shafts?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Socketed shafts?
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:35 am »
I have a ton of maple cut into small pieces and shorts left over from ipe bows. 

The Ishiguro arrow cider has me thinking of making some ipe footed arrows.  Think someone could bore the end of an arrow shaft with a lathe on sawn lumber arrows?  Thinking of using the lathe to make the footing with and sinew reinforce.

Think that old Orkney?

Offline Joec123able

Re: Socketed shafts?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:31:40 am »
ItS funny I'm working on my first ( successful so far ) 2 piece arrow right now also my shaft was split out of a large honey locust log I don't have any power tools so one arrow takes me Forever anyways It took hours for me to drill the two inch deep hole in the front I had to drill it out with a thin piece of steel which took along time I think you could easily do it if your shafts are already at finished thickness I'd wrap it nice and tight with sinew to keep it from splitting and be very carefull to bore straight in and not out the side like I did my first try goodluck !
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:41:48 am by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:22:58 pm »
 >:( Stupid IPAD Auto complete >:(

1/2 of what I wrote up there is not what I wrote.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:06 am »
    Adding forshafts like that is really time comsumming and a pain to get close to really straight. but since there out of a slow self bow they can be fitted into the scocket straight enough.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:17:20 am »
Reslized I can make centered  drilling tool that will slip over the shaft and guide a drill bit into the end.

Those might make handy items for trading for stuff also.

::)