Author Topic: How do you guys set up a tru oiled bow to dry without getting smudges?  (Read 6849 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Looks Good Toomany...

As you well know, There Ain't Only One Right Way...

Besides, if you like it, I love it.

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
I finish the handle first then when it is good and dry I clamp it in the handle while I do the limbs.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

With any finish, i just tie some wire around the top nock and hang it from a tree;) works great
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline cdpbrewer

Here's a fixture for holding a bow for finishing.  The nocks of the bow rest in small holes drilled in the ends of 1/4" carriage bolts which thread into tee nuts in the brackets.   Each bracket is fastened to the 1/4 board with a single screw.   Screw the carriage bolts to tighten the bow in place.   When tight enough, the bow will stand belly up.   I coat the very ends of the nocks with finish, place the bow in the fixture and apply finish to the rest of bow.  If using spray finish, wrap the threads of the carriage bolts with foil.

c.d.

Offline toomanyknots

Here's a fixture for holding a bow for finishing.  The nocks of the bow rest in small holes drilled in the ends of 1/4" carriage bolts which thread into tee nuts in the brackets.   Each bracket is fastened to the 1/4 board with a single screw.   Screw the carriage bolts to tighten the bow in place.   When tight enough, the bow will stand belly up.   I coat the very ends of the nocks with finish, place the bow in the fixture and apply finish to the rest of bow.  If using spray finish, wrap the threads of the carriage bolts with foil.

c.d.

Wooaaah... very clever.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair