Author Topic: Bamboo Backed Yew Recurve  (Read 18085 times)

Offline Jbell

Bamboo Backed Yew Recurve
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:07:35 pm »
  Here is a bow that I started back in July. I have been pretty busy since then so I had to make time to finish it up, all it needed was tip overlays and a finish to complete. This was my first attempt at Yew and also a backed recurve and it proved to be quite a challenge. The Yew wasn't a challenge ,it is a wonderful wood to work with, the curves didn't line up very well after glue up so I had to do a little heat straightening, which was a bit scary because of the possibility of the glue joint seperating, but it worked just fine.
   I built this bow with with no owner in mind, just a fun experiment. If the draw weight would come out to my liking I would probably keep it for myself but the tillering proved to be a little more challenging than I anticipated, since I lhave made several R/D BBO's with great results I had no idea the recurves would give me so much trouble tillering. I was trying to achieve a 55# draw weight but she came in at 45#, not really that big of a deal just not what I am used to.  After shooting this bow for the first time I was pretty amazed by its speed,  shooting my 55# spined arrows, well, as straight as an arrow.  Well to make a short story even longer, our family was over for Thanksgiving the other night and my nephew, who is now 13 was wondering If I could make him another bow with more draw weight. So I let him shoot this bow and it fit like a glove! He enjoyed shooting it alot and it was a lot of fun watching him shoot it. He doesn't know it yet but it will be his X-mas present this year.
   Here are the bows specs, 45#@26", 60" NTN, bamboo back Yew belly, 1 1/4" starting at fade to midlimb tapering to less than 3/8 tips, horn tip overlays. The bamboo is dyed with black aniline dye and I used my finger to give it a fiddle back look. The strike plate is turtle shell and the shelf is layered leather set with CA. Hope you enjoy the pics!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline Jbell

Re: Bamboo Backed Yew Recurve
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:14:39 pm »
Here are some full draw pics. Forgot to mention the handle laminations are Walnut and Hickory.

Justin Blunt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 04:21:07 pm »
Justin, That is a beauty!!! 8) Your nephew is a lucky young man.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jbell

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 04:22:02 pm »
 Couple of Pics of my nephew and my son gooofing around the other night. ;D

Justin Blunt

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 04:25:54 pm »
Thanks Pat, I think he appreciates the fact that his uncle makes bows. I brought him to Mojam a couple of years ago and I think he got bit by the bug! He will be making his own soon.
Justin Blunt

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 04:56:18 pm »
  Justin,That bow is gorgeous.I like the dye job on the boo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 04:58:31 pm »
That's a very nice bow. Very well done. I like it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

whatareyadoin

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 06:34:44 pm »
That is totaly the bomb bow man, I am impressed.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 06:55:11 pm »
Thats a beauty! Just my style! Are you going to try another one to get your draw weight? Did you heat bend the recurves in to the core before glue up?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline snedeker

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 07:01:42 pm »
That much recurve is challenging to tiller.  Really fools you early on to take a lot of wood off.  Really a gorgeous implement.

Dave

Offline bowmo

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 08:06:56 pm »
Beautiful! Love that handle...looks like one of mine. All around good lookin'....

Offline Jbell

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 08:11:21 pm »
Thanks guys! Oh yeah Ryan definately going try another, probably with osage though since I don't have suitable piece of yew left.  I used steam to bend the core and bamboo. I was definately going for a big curve but lost some of it while tillering. I definately learned alot about tillering these type of bows. The early string weight really throws you off. I have it figured out in my head for tillering the next one, hopefully sometime this winter.
Justin Blunt

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 10:00:50 pm »
Beautiful craftsmanship - I love the curves and tiller.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 10:20:45 pm »
 VERY nice bow!
frank
ps: what's the stain on the back??
Frank from Germany...

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 11:05:58 pm »
very impressive!   that is one gorgeous  bow, very nice work. I bet it is a snappy shooter. bamboo and yew is a deadly combination, light and fast.