Author Topic: Sturgeon skin question  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Lemos

Sturgeon skin question
« on: August 03, 2013, 06:36:45 pm »
Hey folks, does anyone know how to get the oils out of an almost dry skin. I washed them in dawn twice before tacking them up but they seem to be weeping oil. Been trying to wipe it of with paper towels but I'm wondering do I have to rehydrate them and wash again or is there a way to do it once fully dry. These are the first full fish skins I've done as the last sturgeon were remnants and they didn't weep at all while drying. Thanks for the help.

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Sturgeon skin question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 09:28:40 pm »
Did you scrape them well ?
Oils are usually in fat not skin !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Lemos

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »
I did scrape them well, down to the stringy layer. I did notice most of the oils are on the edge where I wasn't as diligent as I figured I'm trimming the stapled edge off anyway. There is some oil along the center scute line and I'm sure there's no flesh left there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:58:59 pm »
When I tell you this there will be 25 people telling me how wrong I am but, Soak them in Coleman lantern fuel(white gas), and then wash them in Dawn soap. Or use Acetone to clean them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 01:34:46 pm »
Shoot Mullet I have tanning books that say to soak them in gasoline.  :o White gas has to smell better than that.  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »
Wipe with a Acetone soaked rag, should do the trick. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:26:24 am »
Well I hit'em with acetone, seemed to do the trick. There was a few spots I missed that during the acetone wipe I found and peeled off, who would have thought a wee tiny bit of meat would leak oil like that? Thanks for the advice all.