Author Topic: Stone points  (Read 2264 times)

Offline bow101

Stone points
« on: August 05, 2013, 08:19:11 pm »
Got a couple stone points to play around with see what I can muster up.  The blunt end is quite thick, have to grind down a lot to get them to fit a 11/32 shaft.  My question is, how far down can I grind them down..?  And what is the best way to grind 'em down.?
 I don't know what type they are but apparently the place I bought them said they are meant for what they are.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:24:51 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stone points
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:06:18 pm »
Pics will help! 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:00 pm »
How thick is it? I had a 5/8ths by 3/4ths bird point that was nearly 1/4th inch near the nock end  ??? (can't think of a better term)
i took a few thinning flakes... it was a pinkish material... it was free at a museum I went to(bought something else and they gave me it)...
wound up with a 3/16ths thick point, put it into an 3/8ths shaft and it was fine... then I wanted to thin it some more and broke it in half.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:52 am »
Arrow head

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:38:03 am »
I wouldn't hunt with that point!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 02:36:32 am »
What Pat said
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 10:37:48 pm »
I hear ya, I would not think they are any good for hunting...........As my previous question went unanswered..!!!! I did not make the silly things..!

And what is the best way to grind 'em down.?

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 05:11:31 pm »
i don't think grinding would help with that one.  Maybe some abrading and light percussion would thin it.  If you want some to haft up and play around with, pm me your address.  I may have a few hunt worthy laying around also.  i don't know what is legal in your state as far as minimum width and barbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:12 pm »
Very nice offer madcow
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »
I once ground a couple down using the course wheel on my bench grinder. It does take a while, but you can do it.

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:08:51 pm »
I've seen those before in my youth.  as I recall they are quite soft..not a real silicate stone.   try grinding down on the sidewalk...  hat may work.. if not then yeah, flakes would need removed
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive