Author Topic: Known Arrow Shaft Materials of Western Ohio?  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Known Arrow Shaft Materials of Western Ohio?
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:53 pm »
I'm looking for a list of shaft materials that any posters/readers know have worked that grow in the western ohio region.

My friends and I are aware of quite a few species that make fine shafts but are looking for further knowledge on the situation.

We know of:
Viburnum
Red Ocier
Wild Rose
River Canes
Yellow Willow

Thank you ahead of time.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Known Arrow Shaft Materials of Western Ohio?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:59:12 pm »
that will be a long list

Cherry , Hickory, Oak, Osage, Maple, You get the idea ! Any time you cut a tree for Bows go back in a year or two the shoots that come up make your arrows for the bows !

Autumn Olive was planted all over by Pheasants forever groups and know the birds have sown it all over the place ! I have just started cutting this but it looks very promising ! May have to start straightening and pruning the shoots for the straightness you want similar to viburnum!

This list should keep you busy a day or two !!
If you need more ideas you may have to wait on me to get my old mind in gear !
Have fun
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:16:02 pm »
I'm looking for a list of shaft materials that any posters/readers know have worked that grow in the western ohio region.

My friends and I are aware of quite a few species that make fine shafts but are looking for further knowledge on the situation.

We know of:
Viburnum
Red Ocier
Wild Rose
River Canes
Yellow Willow
I live in NW pennsylvania so most of the materials listed I have as well with the exception of river cane. The one material I like the best is Red Osier. It is a little heavy but will take twice the abuse of cedar. Cut the Red osier in the fall after the leaves fall. Look for shafts that are at least 2 year old or the spine will be too low for anything over 40 lbs. Big end should be between 3/8 and 1/2 inch. I perfer half inch as the shoot will spine a little higher. Turn them down to 11/32 and generally speaking will spine out good for 50 -60 lb bow w 125 gr point at 28.5 lenght. They usually weigh between 530-600 grains when finished. I make mine 29.5 inches long and my draw is 27. When straight they will fly as good as any cedar shaft. Drawback is they do warp when it gets kinda humid and lose a little spine. Another option that I haven't tried yet is straight grained poplar board from home depot or some tight ringed eastern Hemlock.
Hope this helps.
Greg :)

Thank you ahead of time.

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:54:52 pm »
nice nice very nice - keep em coming.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 06:26:42 pm »
Oh Buckeye you said maple I just realized that we cut down a red maple to make room for a new garden.

Think we're gonna try making us some red maple arrows come later next year!

Oh and I got a dumb question - is there any other type of wild rose growing in ohio other than multiflora?

I know what a domestic bush looks like but do they become "loopy" if they wild grow?

We got a bunch of it along the RR tracks down the way and I was thinking of trying them - looks a lot like multiflora but more curly than the pictures i see when i look it up.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:59:06 am »
I have not studied the roses out but it seems there are a couple of different ones around here , some do Ok but most are to weak for good arrows !

Was your Red maple a grafted tree or a true Red maple , the shoots may be a soft maple if grafted . They still will make arrows just will be larger in Diameter to get to the spine you want .  Maybe 3/8 on small end instead of on the large end .

What city are you near ? The distance north to south in Ohio makes a difference in how things grow and what is more likely to be found !
Have fun !!
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:06 pm »
We're close to lima

I think it might have been grafted - not sure.

And I think the rose along out railroad tracks are a mix along one section of town we have curled roses and at one end are fairly straight ones that grow thicker. Which unfortunately are on private land.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 12:55:15 pm »
Not sure about your part of Ohio but here i use a lot of hazel nut shoots. Makes a good arrow. And there is a type of wild rose here that looks like it would make arrows but i havnt tried it cause i cant find it very often.

Try this site to see what grows in your  area. http://plants.usda.gov/java/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:20:05 pm by turtle »
Steve Bennett

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »
I am in your back yard compared to the rest of these folks !!!!
I am in Paulding County .
We need to sit down and talk !!

There is a fellow name of Shaun ( not on here ) Down by Springfield that has Cain growing around him, he usually caries some around to events with him . Don,t find it up here .
 The Flint ridge Knappin is coming up (Labor day weekend) if you can get there do !
If you come look me up . I will be camped on the hill to the right just before the exit .
about the 5th or 6th camp on the left !
Hope to see ya there !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:06 pm »
hey buddy,i live south of Dayton.i have made shafts from honeysuckle for hunting tree rats.it comes out a little on the light side,but who cares I am gonna loose them anyway lol.multiflora makes a fine shaft.tough as nails.gotta cut them a little fatter then you need them because they shrink a little on drying.good to hear another buckeye on here.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:04 pm »
Nice to know - okay gonna have to go on walk monday if its nice out and clip some of the straighter rose.

Buckeye - Nice! we'll have to look into going. And sent ya a PM.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 12:01:02 am »

Do you have birch, cedar, beech, or spruce?  Even pine will make a decent arrow, you will have to shave it down from a board.  How about Locust, or chestnut?  Not sure, but  I would think that they would make a good arrow.

Wayne