Author Topic: New pottery, getting better every time  (Read 6202 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

New pottery, getting better every time
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:15 pm »
Been keeping up on the pottery. Have been 100% on the firing process so far cept for a crack in the big flat bottom pot in the first picture. All out of wild clay and fired in a pit.  They hold water and drink very well.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: New pottery, getting better every time
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:17:59 pm »
man, that is totally awesome. kow do you fire them?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »

Excellent!  I have A LOT of really great clay at my property in Montana.  It feels like modeling clay.  I may have to give this a try.  I will have to contact you to see what I should and should not do.  Those are great!  Now, can you make clay pigeons? ;) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:40:52 pm »
Look good Ryan, nice shapes in those. I like the one I got from you in trade, got it on our fireplace mantle and its rustic looks fit our decor well.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:36:01 am »
Looks great, do the burn marks go all the way through?
I like free stuff.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »

Do You use any kind of a glaze, or just the bare clay itself?  Also, do you bury them upside down, or do you put them in the pit, right side up, and fill them with sand, or ash, and cover them?  Those are great!  You've come far, Pilgrim...... ;)  How far are you from Eddie?  I would like to stop by sometime and see those, and talk to you about them.  Thanks for showing them.

Wayne

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 05:21:27 pm »
thanks guys

I fire them in a pit.  you don't bury them like chert b\c you need the flames themselves to  fire the pots. I gently heat them all up around the fire for about 1 hour, turning them every 5-10 minutes.. they pretty much burn you a little after a while.  you progressively get them closer to the flame. I let the flames die way down to a good bed of coals and then flip them upside right onto the coals (with a stick). then throw sticks over top of them and build the fire back up.  somewhere between 1 - 1.5 hours of cooking them seems to do the job. The color happens all on it's own, likely a carbon thing, or oxygen exposure...I have no idea really..   As the fire cooks, I like to mound dirt up around the fire but not on the pots, this insulated them and lets them cool slow. I let them cool down all the way by themselves and remove that night or next day.   The whole process isn't really something I can explain. Most of it is trial and error. My first attempts made pots, but some were not cooked enough, others too much, the clay didnt have enough sand.....then too much..  lot of variables when doing it abo..   Truth is I am still learning a lot, but no other way to do it than to just get out and do it.

I am maybe 2 hours or so from Eddie. Not real close but not real far
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 01:22:56 am »

Cool, thanks!  Yeah, am about two hours away from him also.  Thanks for the info.

Wayne

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:41:06 am »
Stickbender,  You've sure come a long way from your first posts!  The pot shapes are looking good and the firing seems to be working well for you.  I like the colors that are happening.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:21 am »
Very nice looking pottery. I love seeing projects like this.  thanks for sharing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 05:08:22 pm »

Thanks MP, but actually it is Ryan, or Twisted Limbs who made them, and yes indeed he has come a long way, Grasshopper.

Wayne

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 09:37:33 am »
Really nice...Can you boil water in these?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 01:58:49 am »
looking good twisted limbs,
nice symetrical forms too... flat bottoms do crack easier than rounded ones, because of shrinking, the way you are firing is the most direct
and simple way to do it...If you make bigger cooking pots you might consider turning them upside down on the coals and covering them with dry ash.
then build a big fire over them...the ash will insulate them a little
and will keep those flames from mischief
haven't been on line for while so i've missed alot of whats been going on...
keep it up!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 11:49:10 pm »
Looking good man really cool !!!
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Don

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 05:55:57 pm »
Those look awesome. Love the colors they have.